XIV

Much to my surprise, Draco didn't lead me to the center of the dance floor like I'd presumed, but to the garden patio just outside the manor that was connected to the ballroom.

"I thought we were going to have a dance?" I inquired.

By now, it was very dark and most of the illumination of the garden was (except for the light peaking in from the ballroom) just from the moon and stars. The moon was crescent, slightly fat which provided a bit more light.

"I figured you'd prefer a walk to calm your nerves."

Although I knew there weren't any surprises of where this garden walk may go, I still followed his indirect lead of walking down the cobblestoned path of the garden. The pace was slow. Unlike many other times we've walked, or been forced to walk together on prefect patrols, this wasn't rushed or with an underlying tone of wanting it to be over soon enough.

This walk was much more relaxing. Combined with my desire for fresh air, the crispness of the autumn night was perfect for waking me up a bit without stressing me further.

"You could tell?"

"You certainly didn't look comfortable once my father brought up the house he's found for us."

"No, I wasn't," I breathed deeply. "I just wasn't expecting it."

"Neither was I. Still, I can't say I was surprised that he did that. It's something he'd do..."

I took the opportunity to slightly shift the conversation to him than me when he mentioned this. There was a trace of frustration in his tone, almost malice but not quite as aggressive.

"You didn't look that comfortable either when he brought up the ring," I gestured to the engagement ring on my finger. He quickly glanced down at it before shaking his head.

At that, I instinctively looked at his left hand to see the ring I gave him. It glistened the pale moonlight, looking a bit cold on him. I noticed he twiddled with it using his thumb during our stroll.

"It's not a big deal, really. He thinks it is since it's a Malfoy tradition to pass that onto a new wife every few generations."

I felt somewhat disgruntled at his response. Not upset, necessarily, but he made it sound as if he didn't care about it whatsoever. Did he not? I am only his wife, after all. But when did that start bothering me, what he thought?

"For sake of discussion," I mused, slightly frowning, "you wouldn't have chosen this emerald, then?"

"Of course not," he sneered. "You don't like green."

"What's that got to do—"

"I would've chosen something you preferred. Not something I was told to pass on for the sake of family tradition."

With my right index and middle finger, I slowly rotated the engagement ring around, absentmindedly playing with it a little. It didn't feel quite right in my grasp, he was right about that. It didn't suit me.

He looked much more appealing in this dimmer lighting. His features looked softer, less threatening. Although we'd been on plenty of prefect patrols at late hours together, those were... different, to say the least. Those were under more official pretenses, we were forced to do those together. This was of our own choice. I could've not followed him out here, opting to stay inside.

In fact, we could've avoided each other almost entirely on this trip if we chose to do so. It wasn't necessary to make small talk which turned into light heartened banter. It wasn't necessary to play games until we had headaches. It wasn't necessary to chat in bed until we were so sleepy we fell asleep.