XXIII

I sat down at the stands of the quidditch pitch with a stack of parchment and a quill in my lap, my astronomy textbook on my right. Daphne was sat similarly to my left, hastily flipping through her book. The wind from the crisp afternoon made the ends of the pages flap up, much to her annoyance.

Theo told me that most of the Slytherin team would be practicing today and invited us to watch. He allegedly needed some help with astronomy homework, but couldn't afford to miss a practice. As much as I wanted to refuse, I couldn't say no when he put on those puppy dog eyes.

Things had gone back to normal with the two of us and I couldn't be happier. Life wasn't the same without him.

"Have you got the worksheets ready?" Daphne inquired, peering over her book.

"Yeah," I held a few up pieces of parchment. "Whenever he's ready to come over."

"Better hope he doesn't drip sweat on them."

I cringed, laughing, as she did. "I don't know how that boy thinks he can manage studying in the ten minute breaks between quidditch strategies, but power to him."

I looked up from my papers to see Theo, along with Adrian and Lucian Bole, messing around trying to dodge the bludger. Clearly, practice hadn't quite started yet.

Theo was draped rather primitively over his broom, handling it with about the care of a gorilla. As much as I loved him, he had an immaturity about playing that made me laugh. Good thing he was chaser; he probably would've sucked as a beater.

Still, I couldn't deny that he was good looking, nobody could. Out of everyone on the quidditch pitch, my eyes went straight to Theo's dashing good lo— Draco. Of course. How could I have forgotten he was on the team? Not only that, but captain. No wonder they hadn't started yet.

I felt my heart sink into the pit of my stomach, an unwelcome anxiety bubbling up my chest to the base of my throat when I saw him. He was pretty far away, but it was hard to miss that platinum blonde hair. My attention had been ripped away from Theo faster than you could say "seeker".

"Loverboy caught your attention?" Daphne grinned teasingly.

I blushed, turning my gaze away from the quidditch pitch and back to my notes. "I forgot he'd be here, actually. Just came to help Theo."

"Maybe Theo's the one helping you out," she smirked.

"Yeah, right. If that were the case, then why would he ask me to help him during their breaks? It'd be better spent with me and Draco together."

"It's not like Draco needs help with astronomy. If anything, he'd be the one tutoring you."

"Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence," I shook my head.

I let my gaze wander up for a fleeting moment, landing on Draco who had surprisingly been looking my way too.

He sent a satisfied smirk, one that made me happy he was far enough away that he wouldn't see the blush tinting my cheeks. He nodded his head in a manner of acknowledgement, like a silent "hello". I gave him a small wave back, nothing big but certainly enough to get my heart racing.

"Could you be anymore obvious?" Daphne chuckled.

"Shut up, I am not," I looked down at my book.

"Then how come you ignored Theo when he called your name? Too busy looking at Draco."

Only then had I shifted my eyes to see Theo staring back at me, laughing his head off and looking between Draco and I. He swung an arm around Draco and punched him in a boyishly mischievous way.