XXX

When I walked into the room, Draco was sat at the piano and visibly frustrated for whatever reason.

"What's the matter?" I asked, sliding in next to him at the piano bench.

He sighed loudly, bringing his elbows to slam against the keys making an unpleasant sound. He buried his face into his hands.

"Hey, what'd this piano do to deserve the abuse?" I tried to joke.

Whatever was going on, he clearly didn't find the joke funny.

I looked around the large music room that my family had and it looked as elegant as ever, save for the piano. All the other instruments were clean and polished, no doubt the labors of the tireless house elves. My parents didn't even play music, but they insisted on keeping the dozens of fancy instruments in here for the cultural aspect.

The only thing that was out of place was the large, black grand piano. It had fingerprints all over the outsides, heightened by the dark color which accentuated any prints. There were music sheets scattered about, some on the stand and some had fallen to the floor or Draco had lazily thrown them to another side. It was the only part of the room with any life to it, ironically.

I brought my hand up to the back of his neck and rubbed it soothingly. He seemed to relax into my touch a little bit.

"I haven't seen you all morning," he lamely stated, turning his head to look at me.

I gave him a blank expression. I supposed that was true... what did it matter?

"I had some things to attend to," I replied, still running my hand over his back and lightly massaging his neck.

"Things?" he echoed.

"My mother needed help with the party. I was upset with the last ball; I didn't get to do anything so I made sure I had a place this time."

He sighed out, visibly relaxing. "Oh, good."

"Where did you think I went?" I prompted.

He shrugged. "I wasn't thinking. It was the first time since we got here that I woke up and you weren't there..."

It was as if my heart literally was tugged on. I instantly flooded with regret; I should've stayed there until he woke up. I didn't think he would have taken it negatively, but apparently he did and I should have been aware of that.

I pulled him in for a hug and he tightly wrapped his arm around my waist. I made sure to pepper kisses to his cheek the way that I know he likes, which seemed to succeed a bit in making him smile.

"I'm sorry, Draco. I didn't think it would be a problem but I should've said something to you last night."

"It wasn't a problem," he shook his head. "I just didn't like it. It didn't... feel right without you there."

Again, my heart was nearly fluttering at that point. I felt like a silly schoolgirl with the hold that this boy had on my emotions. In a way, I was just a silly schoolgirl; I couldn't act like it though.

Instead of assuring him through words, I pressed a kiss to his lips which he eagerly accepted. A moment or so later when he pulled back he looked a hundred times better.

"What are you working on here?" I skeptically eyed the piano which looked like a mess.

He huffed again, making me assume that he was frustrated for a number of reasons other than just my leaving this morning.

"I'm having a bit of difficulty, you could say."

"And the piano comes in, where?"

"Usually playing just helps me think. It focuses me but I find myself worse off now than when I started."