XIX

The Slug Club had its ups and downs. Mostly downs.

Seeing as there were lots of different students from houses or areas of interest I never indulged in, it was almost nice hearing the backgrounds of different students or their accomplishments to earn them places at the table.

Funnily enough, I was actually most intrigued to hear about Harry. He and Slughorn made good conversation, and I was impressed by how he managed to juggle so many of his activities. Granger was more tolerable than usual, but her muggle jokes didn't quite land and I didn't find them overly funny or interesting for that matter. Actually, she in general wasn't too funny or interesting. At least Harry made up for the fascinating features she lacked.

Cedric and Slughorn made excellent chat, as well. Sluggy, a known socialite type who always was looking for connections, was interested in asking about the Diggory Minister of Magic from some years ago. His family's kept a large role in the ministry for a long time and it was safe to say that Cedric was on the path to make the Diggory name proud. It sounded like Slughorn was banking on Cedric being someone he could call on for a social or business link someday.

Despite a few snide comments from Blaise and Theo who seemed determined to bash Cedric, even they couldn't downplay his accomplishments with a "half-blood" insult slyly thrown about. They certainly tried, though. More than once they caught themselves almost slipping in "mudblood", but stopped before it went too far. I know Cedric noticed, too.

I'd heard some rumors about Slughorn being a bit of a pureblood supremacist, but I couldn't quite tell over the course of the conversation. Sure, he invited Granger, a muggle-born, and seemed to tolerate her chat enough, but he didn't make any effort to stop or even disapprove of the obvious anti-muggle born rhetoric thrown about by Blaise or Theo. He didn't even bat a lash when Blaise suggested Cedric might be unworthy of a Ministry position with a mother coming from a muggle background.

Other students spoke with Slughorn as well, all with some famous ancestry or academic notoriety. It was like some high society gathering where everyone rubbing elbows was trying to see who could show off the most. That's not to say it was a boring evening, but being in such luxurious company got tiresome. I could only hear that someone's grandfather invented a potion or uncle was a ministry politician so many times.

"And your family, Miss Vitelli?" Slughorn finally turned his attention to me, notably last. "I'm ashamed to say I haven't been making many of your functions since the passing of your grandfather."

"If you've met them once, you've met them a thousand times," I tried to joke, earning a smile from Slughorn. "They all send their best."

"You've seen them recently?"

"Yes; I've just gotten back from a ball hosted by my parents a couple weeks back."

"How lovely," he sipped his drink. "I remember how well your family could throw a party. Hours and hours into the night and early morning of fine wine, dancing... such sophistication."

As much as I appreciated the compliment, I wasn't interested in flaunting my family's fortune in front of the group, despite the fact many of them were more than well-off themselves. I could leave that to Blaise and Cormac, if they so wished.

"I'm sure you're welcome back anytime for another," I plastered on a smile. "My parents and I would love to have you."

He cocked an eyebrow. "I might take you up on that offer, Miss Vitelli. Oh, how I miss a good Italian festival. When might the next shin-dig be?"

"Christmas Eve, I'd presume," I took a bite of my food. I felt the eyes of Theo and presumably Blaise on me.

"Ah, yes! I've been to a few of your grandfather's Christmas Eve parties many years ago. Always a great show, you put on for the holiday. I'll be sure to be in attendance this year."