III

The first week at Hogwarts wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Teachers are usually more lenient regarding tardiness and homework assignments toward the beginning of the year, so things were relatively calm.

My only problem was the pesky first years constantly coming up to my room to ask questions, especially ones that I've answered time and time again. Luckily, they seemed to have gotten the hang of things after being at Hogwarts for a whole week so I'd been left alone a bit more. Could finally get some decent sleep.

On the other hand, this meant my prefect duties at night would be starting.

For the first week, just the Head Boy and Head Girl are tasked with patrolling around at night, until they organize a schedule and job it out to the rest of the group. I hoped that tensions with Cedric would mean he'd assign me less work, wanting to see me less than the other prefects, but I knew I couldn't get out of my assigned work just because we had a falling out.

This resulted in myself, as well as the other prefects sitting in the library as Cedric and Hermione Granger (obviously who'd been named Head Girl, no surprise) going over the schedule with us. Well, all of the prefects except one person.

Cedric and Granger sat at the head of the short, but rectangular table with some parchment at their fingertips; no doubt Granger whipped that up for efficiency's sake.

Ron Weasley sat to Granger's left, next to me on one side of the table. Both of our partners were elsewhere. At least his was still at the table, but mine was... wherever a Malfoy might be found. I didn't waste my time trying to figure out what his degenerate self could be up to.

Across from Weasley and I sat Padma Patil and Terry Boot, the Ravenclaw prefects, and at the other end of the table was Hannah Abbott, Cedric's Hufflepuff partner.

"—while Padma and Terry will take Tuesday and Thursday, Ron and Hannah have Monday and Wednesday, which leaves Friday for Hermione and I to rotate," I heard Cedric babble on, while I zoned out from the chat. I was too embarrassed about Draco not being here.

I only caught most of what he said, but of course that meant that Draco and I had the weekend shifts. No doubt that was calculated so Draco couldn't stir up trouble by throwing parties in the common room. He was infamous for wild Slytherin-only parties that would get busted by teachers over and over again. He always kept having them, though. I'd admit, his tactics of keeping them under wraps had improved over the years, as well.

"Any objections to the schedule?" Granger inquired.

I deadpanned and then raised my hand mockingly, as if she were some teacher I couldn't be bothered to listen to. I didn't like listening to Granger babble on in classes, let alone outside.

The ends of Cedric's lips turned up in something of a smile. More of a smirk, but one of humor or amusement. "Y/n, you don't need to raise your hand," he told me.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "How am I supposed to trust that Malfoy will stay on this schedule if he can't be bothered to show up to prefect meetings? Saturday is the worst day to patrol, especially. I can't handle that myself; it's too much ground to cover."

Granger nodded, understandingly. "In the event that happens, we can assign you a temporary, stand-in partner. That goes for all of you, we can make adjustments if need be."

"Such little faith in me already, Vitelli?"

I turned my head to see where the owner of the voice was that called my name. I should've been able to tell by the malice in his voice, but I didn't know who it was until my gaze landed on my white-haired spouse sauntering over and sitting at empty spot next to Abbott. He removed his bag from around his shoulders and dropped it on the table obnoxiously, causing a loud thump.