XXV

Draco had been rushed to Madam Pomfrey's infirmary wing. I didn't know how long he was there; it felt like hours but in reality must have been forty minutes or so.

She analyzed his physical state and concluded that a couple potions and rest ought to do the trick. He wouldn't be completely recovered for a week probably, but just some cuts, bruises and mild headaches after he woke up, maybe dizziness or disorientation. If there were any other major symptoms, he should go back to the hospital wing for more potions but he would be fine, ultimately.

I knew he would be, but it didn't stop me from worrying. It was no secret quidditch was an inherently dangerous sport, but luckily there was always a spell or concoction that could heal any serious damage. Madam Pomfrey said that Draco was the worst case she'd seen in months, but he still would be fine in due time.

She had given him a vial of something to take after he woke up, groggy and completely disoriented, to help him gain some consciousness back. She predicted that in an hour he should be awake and aware again.

Luckily Blaise and Theo had accompanied me to the hospital with him; I would've resented them if they didn't want to see their friend well. It also meant that there were two people who could help him back to his dorm, since Draco was in no position to be doing so himself.

On the (very slow and tedious) walk back to Theo and Draco's dorm room, he showed little signs of getting back to normal. He'd spring his head up suddenly, murmur a few odd words, or look like he was conscious for a moment before slipping back into that groggy state he was in. He could drag his legs along, but he certainly needed the assistance of the other boys to do so. They made sure each of his arms was around their shoulders as they steadied his balance and kept him upright.

By the time we ended up in the dungeons, he was looking a lot better and more aware, but not fully so. An hour hadn't passed yet, so he was in a state of cloudiness for the most part.

While Madam Pomfrey had given him some potions to heal, he wasn't cleaned up at all. While some magical creams could help, Madam Pomfrey insisted that she couldn't use a spell to disinfect his cuts or wounds since they wouldn't be as effectively cleaned. Magical cleansing always had a rather large margin of error and should only be used for more superficial things. She instructed that it needed to be done the muggle way, for lack of a better term, if he wanted a fuller and more complete cleansing.

We laid him on his bed and there was nothing I wanted to do more than just take a rag and wipe away his cuts before they worsen, but Theo insisted that I wait half an hour or so to make sure he's awake while I do it. If I scared him or a disinfectant stung him in his state of grogginess, it wouldn't end well. "Draco's testy," Theo repeated.

It looked like Draco slipped in and out of sleepiness, too. For a moment, his eyes would close and he'd be sound, then the next his eyes shot open and sounds were coming from his lips. It improved as minutes past, him looking more awake and less sleepy, but he probably just must have been naturally tired from the impact. His head moved around on the pillow, his neck shifting from side to side. He looked awkward and generally uncomfortable, which no doubt was a side effect of the potion Madam Pomfrey gave him which woke him up from his state of unconsciousness.

"How do you guys think he's gonna react when he finds out he lost to Chang?" Blaise snorted, trying to lighten the mood.

"Looks like he won't be at the after-party," Theo chimed in.

"Hopefully that's the least of his problems," I replied, unamused at their banter. I was sat on the bed next to his lying figure and keeping an eye on him, while the boys sat on Theo's bed.

"Or it'll piss him off more," Theo added. "He talked so much shit about how he could beat her with one arm tied behind his back."

"How about a bludger to the head?"