XVI

"Tell me something about yourself," Draco piped up during our prefect patrol.

He'd been almost silent the whole night, not really engaging for anything other than small remarks like "I'll check this corridor" or "you go that way". I assumed he was having one of his episodes, so I didn't press for more information or try to engage him in conversation.

"What do you wanna know?"

"Anything."

"That doesn't really narrow it down," I dryly chuckled.

"Just talk about something. Things about you."

I racked my brain trying to think of something. I was so focused on trying to think of anything worthwhile that it didn't even process in my mind how unusual it was of him to make that request— command, more like. After a few moments of silence, I finally spoke the first words that came to mind.

"I miss home."

He turned his head to look at me. "Home? We just came back from the ball not long ago."

"Not that home," I corrected him softly. "I meant Italy. I haven't been there in so long."

"I almost forget you're not from Britain; you hardly even have an Italian accent. You can barely tell... it's like its own, unique articulation. It suits you, though."

"I almost forget it sometimes, too, hence why I want to go back."

"When was the last time you were there?"

That was a good question.. when was the last time? I ran a hand through my hair and tried to think back.

"A couple years ago, the summer before fifth year," I smiled, reminiscing. "I was only there for a week, though. I haven't spent any real time there since I was a child."

"Why don't you go back then?"

"All of my family is here now. Well, most of it anyway. I have grandparents and extended family there, but it's just different."

I couldn't exactly explain everything to him. Not here, anyway, and especially not now. It was hardly the proper place for a heart-to-heart. However, it was interesting to know that he was capable of having them since that night of the ball.

Since our little ballroom spat, he apologized profusely over and over again, to which I always assured him, "I already forgave you". Maybe it finally sunk in that I was being honest.

"I'm assuming the ball made you a bit homesick then?"

"You could say that. I'm sorry about all that, by the way. I probably owe you an apology after the hundred apologies you gave me," I muttered.

He scoffed lightly. There was no malice in it, just a somewhat playful grin. "No need to apologize."

"My family is pretty insane, though. You remember how you were swarmed by them the entire night."

"Your family can't be any worse than mine," he mused, almost chuckling softly, but not quite.

"Let's not test the waters tonight," I looked up at him who slightly nodded.

He paused for a moment before speaking again. The silence seemed loud. "Maybe someday soon you'll get to go back. To Italy, I mean. Why not after we finish school?"

"We".

I was fully aware of the great likelihood that he was referring to our graduating year, but the fact that he even used the word "we" made me uneasy. Draco was more tolerable to me and I was happy about that fact, but I still wasn't totally comfortable with the idea that there was a "we" between us.  However, there was something... relieving about it. That he might be there with me if I ever decided to go home and visit.