𝟟 | exchanging numbers

In contrast to the screeching sound of the school bell, all the students cheered and quickly made their way out of the confining classroom

In contrast to the screeching sound of the school bell, all the students cheered and quickly made their way out of the confining classroom. Hyejin could never relate to the mindset of the students who always rush to go home; she could somewhat relate to those who just wanted to be out of the schooling environment, but the other reason, she knew she could never fully relate.

Usually her schedule went somewhat like this: stay at school for another thirty minutes, pick up Hajoon, send him home, go back to school to study more and then go home. In the days where Hajoon would have basketball practice, one of those days being today. She would stay at school longer while she took the time to enjoy the leaves outside the classroom, dancing freely without a care.

But even so, Hyejin took notice, that the leaves aren't as free as she originally thought. There will always be a stem that holds them together with the big body of bark. When they eventually fall, the leaves themselves wouldn't have much time to live as they would lose their tranquil colour before crumbling slowly but definitely. It's these kinds of thoughts that left Hyejin wonder what she should do when she becomes an adult; when she isn't in the control of her parents anymore. Would she gracefully fall towards the ground like those leaves? Would she even fall as gracefully as them? Would she even make it to the ground?

A warm breath escapes her chapped lips as she decides to bury the thought for later and to live in the present time. She rummages through her bag for her chemistry book before realising that she left it in her locker. She grabs her phone before making her way out to the clearing hallway to find her locker and grab her necessities.

Catching the sight of the familiar side figure, Jaein crept up behind her locker door and made a funny face. Hyejin is surprised by the goofy face but still manages to keep her squeal inside her throat. Her items did fall out of her arms though.

Jaein laughs at her successful attempt, "Sorry! Did I scare you too much?" she bends down to collect Hyejin's things before handing it to her, "Sorry, I saw you from far away and couldn't help but to approach you."

Hyejin kept her eyes at the ground, not knowing what to do or say to the girl. She found Jaein to be brave as even though they just met, she seems to be so free. Hyejin fidgets with the ends of her books, thinking of reasons on why she would have approached her. Did she say something wrong to her? Did she do something wrong to her? Is she going to tell me that she doesn't want her in the group? But all these thoughts came to an end when Jaein gave her a phone.

"Put in your contact." Jaein winked, "We'll be working in a group and it'll be convenient to have your phone number. And I could hit you up whenever and vice versa." She clicks her tongue and puts up a peace sign in front of the stiff girl.

Hyejin nervously picks up the white star-decorated phone, typing her phone number and name in, double checking for any mistakes. She hands it back without a word and Jaein calls the number for confirmation.

"Cool! Now you have my number! I'll send you Jaemin and Jeno's number." The red light from her phone indicated that the message came through and Hyejin saved all the numbers in her contacts, before she forgets.

Hyejin bows before proceeding to walk off, only to be stopped by the girl holding her shoulder. Hyejin jerks at the sudden action and Jaein notices this, pulling her hand away before apologising, "Sorry...are you alright?" Jaein asked, full of worry. At this time, she could properly see Hyejin attire. High knee socks, long sleeved uniform and blazer in summer? Is she sensitive to touch?

Before Jaein could ask, her phone started to ring but she ignored it due to the worry that she had for a slightly shorter girl, "Hyejin...I'm sorry. Are you sensitive to touch?"

Hyejin turns to her with widened eyes at the straightforward question. Before answering she thought of the many possibilities that her answers could lead to; ridiculed, shamed, strang--

"You don't have to answer. I'm sorry for just coming up to you like this." Jaein scratches the back of her neck as she bit her lip, worried about the response she would receive.

Hyejin's eyes soften at the gentle tone of her classmate, "N-No. I'm sorry for being a burden right now..." she bows as a sign of apology.

"W-What? No no. Don't apologise." Jaein tries to meet her eyes by ducking her head down slightly to meet the girl.

"Jaein!" Jeno called out from afar.

"We should probably go...I'll see you tomorrow, Jaein." Hyejin gave her a frail smile before turning away and practically sprinting back to her classroom.

Jaein watched her hastiness as she disappeared from her sight when she turned a corner. Her boyfriend gave her a light back hug and kisses the back of her soft hair, "Are you alright?" Jeno held his girlfriend's figure with reassurance before turning her around and cupping her face, "Why are you frowning?"

"It's just that...she seems so scared of me."

"Who?"

"Hyejin."