𝟙𝟝 | should we bet

Almost every night ever since she was ten, Hyejin would wake up in cold sweat and cough uncontrollably

Almost every night ever since she was ten, Hyejin would wake up in cold sweat and cough uncontrollably. The experience never ceases to leave her alone; I mean how could it when she lives in the same house as the people that started her nightmares?

The first time Hajoon saw his sister getting abused was when he was five years old. He had just finished playing in the park with his friends when he came home to the sound of shattering glass and furious shouting. At first, he thought that his parents were just watching a movie that was obviously not child appropriate for him. But what he saw that day would've been better for him if it was all an act. There he sees his sister all beaten up, bruises all over her arms and legs as they shout insults at the powerless girl.

At five years old, he stood still at the door frame but when his drunken father roared for her to stand up, he thundered in the room and snatched his sister's arm away with the little force that he had. As soon as Hajoon came into the room, his parents changed their attitude, asking Hyejin why she was so beaten up and hurt; pretending to care for Hyejin. For the first time, Hajoon saw the monsters that lurked in the house.

Hajoon rushes into his sister's room at six in the morning, "What's wrong?" he asks his quivering sister multiple times. He rushes out of the door to get a glass of water to which she immediately accepts.

"Did I wake you up?" Hyejin sits up crossed legged and grips her hoodie in the hopes of calming her shaking body.

Hajoon slightly dips his head, "But it's fine, it doesn't matter." he hops on the bed, sitting cross legged in front of his sister, "Breath Hyejin."

She follows her brother's instructions, feeling oxygen rushing through her diaphragm and carbon dioxide out as she exhales, "Do you mind if we go to school early? I don't think I can sleep anymore."

Hajoon gives a reassuring tap on the shoulder at her request, "Of course. Just calm yourself first and then we can get ready for school." The eight year old boy hops off the bed to unplug her phone from the charger to put on some relaxing instrumental music.

When will this nightmare end?