Chapter 20

Flashback

The night before the mission, Bucky and Nat planned how they will infiltrate Hydra. The last time, things didn't go so well. This time they would make sure everything will go right. They will not leave anything to chance. The plan was for Bucky to get captured immediately. Nat hated the idea. She didn't want to put Bucky in danger like that. She was terrified that Hydra might actually kill him this time. She knew they were capable of that. "Babe, there has to be another way." She begged him. "I can't lose you." "You won't lose me. I'll be fine. I'm the Winter Soldier remember. I can do anything." He said, puffing out his chest proudly. Nat laughed. "Everything except listen to your girlfriend." She raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms. "Hmm, I wonder from whom I learned it from." He smirked, with mischievous look in his eyes. "Shut up." She laughed, rolling her eyes. He chuckled.

"You are so cute, my little firefly." He said, kissing the top of her head. "Firefly?" "Its because you are my light." He smiled proudly. "Oh my word, James. That is so cheesy." Nat laughed. "I know you love it." He grinned, cheekily. "Fine. I do. It's adorable." She said, laying her head against his warm chest. "What is your cute nickname for me?" He asked, giving her the doe-eye look. "Hmm. How about Plum. I know how much you love your plums." She teased. "Hey! Those were the best plums I've ever eaten in my life." He said defensively. "Okay, okay. I take it back. How about Sugar Plum Fairy." Nat laughed. Bucky rolled his eyes, not amused. When Nat noticed the annoyed expression on his face, she laughed even harder. "You are so cute when you're annoyed." She laughed, as she hugged him tighter. "How about sugar boo?" Nat snickered. "I think I prefer Sugar Plum Fairy." He said, exasperated. "How about Bucket?" Nat laughed. "Bucket?" "Remember on the group chat, Steve accidentally called you Bucket. He said it was because of autocorrect. The group couldn't stop talking about it." Nat said, as doubled over in laughter. "Sugar Plum will do just fine." Bucky said, rolling his eyes. "Alright, Sugar plum." Nat smiled, gleefully.

"So are you ready for tomorrow?" Bucky asked, as they began packing weapons. "I am. I've been waiting for this for a while. I really need to know if that Ivan is my father. If not, we will bring him and Hydra down." Nat said, passionately. "I love you so much" Bucky said, looking at Nat endearingly. "I love you too but why the sudden declaration of love?" She questioned, with a smirk on her face. "Do I have to have a reason to tell my girlfriend I love her?" He said, defensively. "No, but it did seem kind of random." She teased, gently poking him. "If you insist. I said it because I just admire your passion and determination. You inspire me so much! You make me want to become a better person. There, I said it. Are you happy now? " He said, his sparkling with joy. " I am." She smiled gratefully, pecking his cheek. "Lets hope everything works out!" Bucky said, feeling a little anxious. "Don't worry. I know it will." Nat said, confidently.

End of Flashback

Everything was going to plan. Nat thought to herself. They needed to make Hydra think that they had the upper hand. Now that they were distracted, now it was time for the infiltration. While they took Bucky away, Nat sneaked off to another hidden entrance. She made sure no one saw her. Once she got inside, she had an eery feeling something was wrong. She hated this feeling, everything was perfectly planned out. Nothing could go wrong. As she slowly walked across the room, she was suddenly blinded by the bright luminescent lights that lit up the whole room. "Welcome back, Miss Romanoff!" A familiar voice echoed the room. "Ivan. It's good to be back." She spoke, smugly. She had to find out the truth about this man. "What are you doing here? Don't you need to go rescue your boyfriend?" He snickered. "Actually, I'm here for you." She smirked, knowingly. The smile disappeared from his face. "What do you want from me? You know I will never reveal any secrets to you." He said, visibly panicking. He stepped backwards as Nat inched closer. "What's wrong Ivan? Why are you so afraid of me all of a sudden?" She taunted, moving even closer to him. "I'm not afraid of you!" He said, trying to sound brave but failed. He was so distracted, he ended up falling over something, causing him to howl in pain.