Chapter 13

He was too late. He didn't make it in time to save her. Now she has become a weapon for Hydra. Something he knew all too well. He hoped he would never see her like this. Now his worst nightmare came true. He felt hopeless and angry. Angry at himself for not saving her sooner, if he did, Nat would not be in this situation. What hurt him the most was that he betrayed her, he promised that he would save her but he failed. He didn't know if he could forgive himself. 

Bucky was completely consumed with his thoughts that he didn't see the attack from Nat, which knocked him off his feet. He couldn't fight back, not against her. It was too much for him. He let her beat him up mercilessly, before  Steve came to defend him. Steve was not afraid to fight against Nat. How could he, he wasn't fighting the love of his life. "Bucky, you need to defend yourself or you're going to be killed." Steve shouted, as he continued fighting Nat. "What's the point, I'm already dead inside." Bucky grumbled, dejectedly. "Don't say that Buck. We will get her back, the same way we got you back. She will be okay." Steve tried reasoning with him. "You said she will be okay before this. Look at her now, she is not okay. " Bucky shouted angrily. "I know, Buck. I'm sorry. I didn't think everything will turn out like this.  At least we found her. All we need to do now is knock her out and take her with us. We will figure out the rest when we get back to the compound." 

Bucky didn't say anything. Steve noticed his friends silence. "Bucky, try to defend yourself, please. I'm going to knock Nat out. Just don't get killed okay." Steve commanded. Bucky didn't react. Steve couldn't wait for an answer. Nat came running towards him with lightening fast speed. She punched him squarely on the jaw, making Steve flinch in pain. Nat was a string fighter. He knew she was holding back before. Now he can finally see her at her full potential. It was terrifying. He dodged a few more of her attacks but then used her stingers on him, causing to fall to the ground, writhing in pain. He realised he needed the stingers, for him to knock her unconscious. It was the only way. She was just too strong. With the the super soldier serum, she will become unstoppable. When he got up, he planned his next move very carefully. He wasn't sure how he was going to get them, Nat was quick. He needed to be quicker than her. 

As she was coming towards him, he punched her stomach, making her double over in pain. While she was taken off guard, he took the opportunity to rip off the stingers from her wrists. In the second that he managed to grab it, she grabbed him and threw him across the room. Steve couldn't get back up. That one hurt him a lot. He tried to stand, but his legs were failing him. He collapsed back onto the ground. He could see Nat slowly walking towards him, with a poisonous look in her eyes. He saw her pointing her gun at him, aiming for his chest. Just when Steve thought he was going to die, he heard a crash. Bucky attacked Nat, allowing Steve to catch his breath. 

Bucky hated attacking Nat like that but she was about to shoot his best friend. He wasn't going to let that happen. As he continued fighting her, he became more confident that he will be able to save. There has to be a way to bring her back. He will make sure of it. He continued fighting her, even though it kept breaking his heart. Nat was good, he knew she would be stronger after taking the serum. He was finding it difficult dodging her attacks. She then used her famous Black Widow move on him by jumping onto his shoulders, the one move he never successfully overcame. He found himself struggling to breathe as Nat's hold on him became tighter. When Bucky thought he was about to pass out, Steve used the stingers on Nat. She didn't budge. Steve tried the stingers again. Nothing. Its was if she was immune to it. That's when Steve realised that she probably was. Bucky was not immune to it before. Maybe they added something to the serum. They were in serious trouble now.

Nat didn't lose her grip on Bucky as she tightened her legs around his neck. It wasn't long before Bucky lost consciousness. Steve knew he was a goner, there was nothing else he could do. He tried throwing his shield at her hoping that could knock her out. It didn't. It had the same affect as I did with Bucky. She caught the shield effortlessly. At this point, Steve wasn't surprised. That was his last resort. Now he will have to fight until she knocks him out. The rest of the team will have to come find them. There was nothing he could do now as he watched Nat readjusting her stingers to her outfit. She aimed at him and fired. Steve soon lost consciousness. Nat then grabbed both the unconscious soldiers dragged them to another room.

***

The other members were worried, they didn't hear anything from Steve or Bucky over an hour. The team went to look for them. Something terrible must have happened to them. Tony and Bruce told the other members to start searching for Steve and Bucky. Tony and Bruce went to the place they last saw them. They went down a long hallway filled with screams of terror. "They must be experimenting on people again." Bruce said, as he flinched in horror. "Yeah, hopefully they haven't done that to Steve and Bucky." Tony said, nervously. "Or Nat." Bruce added. "Yeah, Nat too." Tony said uneasily, afraid that something might have already happened to Nat. As they were walking past the rooms all they saw was more people being prepped for the super soldier serum. "After we find the everyone, we need to put a stop to this. We can't let anymore innocent people become Hydra's weapons." Tony said, as he walked past the rooms, keeping an eye out for his friends. There was one more room at the end of the hallway. It was massive. "This has to be it. There are no other rooms from this point." Bruce said, as they reached the room. It was then he heard the screams of his friends. Bucky and Steve were being tortured. "Lets call the rest of the team." Tony said, stoically.

      *** 

It was hard to see Nat standing beside him and not being able to recognise him. That hurt more than the punches she threw at him. He will save her, no matter what. He will get his Nat back. He looked over next to him, Steve was still unconscious. He felt guilty. Steve almost died because of him. That's not right. After everything they have been through together, they always had each others backs. Today was different. He wasn't there for Steve. It made him feel like a terrible friend. "I'm sorry." Bucky said to an unconscious Steve. He will have to be better for him, Nat and the rest of the team. He let down the whole team today. 

Nat walked towards the two intruders, ready to comply with her mission. She was meant to eliminate these the intruders, her gun was loaded and ready for the mission. As she walked towards the one who was awake, she noticed sadness in his eyes. He looked up at her as if he knew her. She hasn't never seen this man before, so why would he recognise her. Maybe he mistook her for someone else. "Nat it's me, Bucky. I am your Bucky. Please remember me!" The man cried out. "I don't know who you are. You must be confused with someone else. Now be quiet, I have a job to do." Nat said as she steadied her hand on the trigger. "Please, my love. Remember me. I love you so much!" He said with desperation. This made her pause. Why does this guy keep demanding that he knows me and loves me. Do I really mean so much to him. What the hell is going on? 

All of  a sudden, Nat found herself on the ground, thrashing around in pain. Someone was causing severe electric currents through her body. Her body jolting with intense spasms. Bucky could only watch in horror as he saw Nat squirming in pain. He couldn't do anything to help. He was again, powerless to save her. "Leave her alone! Stop hurting her!" Bucky screamed out, his body trembling with fear and anger. "Take me instead. Just let her go!" Bucky demanded. "What an interesting proposition." Ivan spoke, as the wheels began turning in his head. Two powerful super soldiers, that we could use. He just needed to trick Bucky into thinking that they will let Natasha go. Ivan smiled to himself. "Okay, we'll take you. Then we will let Natasha go. On one condition." Ivan smirked.  "What might that be?" Bucky said through gritted teeth, knowing it was not going to be an easy decision to make. "We erase your current memories." Ivan grinned, maliciously. Bucky was speechless.