Chapter 9

Nat and Bucky were taken by surprise with Fury's announcement. Nat never thought she would go back to the place that turned her into a monster. This was going to struggle with this mission. At least Bucky will be with her. She turned to look at him, she could see the panic in his eyes. She could see his body starting to tremble with anxiety. She then took his hand in hers. He looked at her and gave her a small smile. She could feel his heart rate slow down. "I know this will be a difficult mission for you both, given the long history you two have had in Russia. I have the utmost faith in you two to carry out this mission successfully. You will be leaving in a week. Good Luck, Agent Romanoff and Agent Barnes." He said, as he dismissed them.

When they reached their room, they sat on the bed in complete silence. "Back to Russia. Huh, I never thought I would ever go back there." Nat spoke, after a few minutes. "Me too. I thought I left that whole life behind me."Bucky sighed, as he buried his face in his hands. Nat took his hands in hers again. "We will be okay, James. We have each other. I know I won't be so afraid now. We will protect each other." She comforted him, laying her head on his shoulder. "Thank you, Nat." He smiled, kissing her forehead. "I am glad that we have each other." He said, softly.

"How about we go somewhere, to take our mind off it. Let's go for a short trip, just the two of us." Nat suggested, sensing that Bucky still wasn't okay. "Really?! Can we just do that?" Bucky asked, eyes widening in surprise. "I'll have to talk to Fury first to give us some time off. I'm sure he will let us go, since the mission is only in a week's time." She smiled at him. "Alright, then. I would love to go on a trip together, where it is just the two of us." He smiled, leaning down to kiss Nat. Nat smiled, happy that he was smiling. She knew that he went through a depression when he remembered all the horrifying things he did as the winter soldier. She didn't want to see him going through such a dark period again.

The other issue was, she was worried about herself as well. It took her a long time to get over the traumatic exprience she endured in the Red Room. She needed to overcome that fear, she had to be stronger than she was before. This mission will really challenge herself on a new level. She was all for it. No one is going to break her or control her ever again. Bucky decided to take a nap, so she decided to go talk Fury about taking some time off to go on a trip. Nat was a little nervous about asking Fury this, it was short notice and she doesn't make requests like this. She was anxious though, she didn't know how long this mission was going to be.

She knocked on the door three times before he answered. "Agent Romanoff, is there something I can do for you?" Fury asked, as she closed the door behind her. "Actually, there is something." She said, trying to maintain her composure. "Proceed." He motioned for her to continue. "Since The mission is only one week away, I was wondering if James and I could take a few days off to go on a trip. I think it would help the both of us ease into the mission. Going back to Russia and going under cover as our past selves, will be a struggle." She said with fierce determination.

"Maybe I should send someone else then, if you don't think you two can handle it." Fury retorted. "It's not that. I know we will be successful with our mission. It's just that we had some bad times then, we don't want those experiences to effect our mission. That's why we need some time off to prepare effciently for the mission." Nat said defensively. Fury sighed. "I don't usually do this for anyone but since you and Barnes are my two best agents and work really well together. So, I'll give you three days leave so you two can go on your trip or whatever."Fury, announced. Nat was taken back for a second. She didn't think he would give in so easily. She thought she would have to fight for it. "Uh, Thank you so much sir. We really appreciate it." Nat said graciously. "When it's time for the mission, you two must be focused. There is no time for any distractions. You got that." He enforced. "Got it sir. Thank you again." Nat beamed, as she walked out of his office.

Nat was smiling brightly as she walked to her room. She couldn't wait to tell Bucky the good news. He will be so happy. She found Bucky still fast asleep. She went over to him and gently kissed his forehead. She didn't want to wake him up now, he looked peaceful. She will tell him the good news later. For now, she just let him rest. Nat decided to go for a run, something didn't get to the whole week. She did manage to squeeze in a Pilates workout though. She preferred running though, she enjoyed the fresh air  and her body feels more alive.

Two hours later she came back to the room, she found the room empty. Perhaps he went to the gym, Nat thought to herself. She had a quick shower to freshen up, then made her way to the kitchen for a snack. She always felt hungry after a long run. Right now, she was craving ice-cream. She knew it was a bad idea, since she just went for a run but she knew she will work it off later. This was the only thought that kept her from feeling guilty. Nat did not shy away from the sweet foods. It's the one thing she couldn't get enough of. She always managed to balance it out with a workout or two at the end of the day.

To her surprise, Nat found Bucky in the kitchen. He had prepared two bowls of ice-cream for them. She smiled, at the sentiment. "I know you always crave ice-cream after a good run." He smiled, handing her a bowl of ice-cream. "It's also an excuse for me to have ice-cream too." He grinned, cheekily. "I know." She smiled, kissing his cheek. "I just actually enjoy having ice-cream with you." He looked up, as he took a spoonful of ice-cream." "Oh Barnes, you are such a cheeseball." She laughed, ruffling his hair. "That's why you love me." He grinned, turning red. "That's true."

"Oh, I have great news!" Nat beamed, putting her ice-cream down. "Fury gave us time off." He smirked, knowing what Nat was going to say. "Haha, good guess smart ass." She said, hitting him playfully. "You were so excited about that earlier, so I figured it was about that."He laughed. "So how many days do we have off?" He asked, continuing to eat his ice-cream. 'Three days." Nat, said happily. "Oh wow, I was expecting one day." Bucky said, in surprise. "Yeah, I was surprised too. I just told him it was something that we needed before the big mission. We don't need our past coming back to haunt us when we're there. ' Nat explained. "True, we don't need that kind of distraction." He said, with a faraway look in his eyes. 'You okay?" She asked, noticing the distant look. "Yeah, I'm really happy we have time off. We wil have so much fun, just the two of us." He winked, suggestively. Nat blushed. "You know, that's not the purpose of this little trip, right?" Nat hit him again. "I know, I just wanted to make you blush." He grinned mischievously.

"The only thing we need to do is come decide where we should go." Nat said, finishing up her ice-cream. "Do you have any ideas?" Nat asked, innocently. "Not really. I haven't experienced that much of New York actually." He said, shaking his head in shame. "Do you have any ideas?" He asked. "Well, I have a few ideas actually. Tony and Pepper talked about a few good places. The one place is Sea Girt, the perfect place to relax and wind to wind down. Since it's on a beach, it can't get more calming and peaceful than that. It's also said to be a great place for romance." She smirked. "Great place for romance, huh? I think we should go there then." Bucky grinned. "There are still other places I haven't told you about." She laughed. "It doesn't matter, the beach is the winner." He laughed. "Just listen to the options first." She chuckled, at his childish behaviour. "Okay, fine." He sighed.

"So, another option is Bear Mountain. We can go for a nice long hike. It would be great to stretch our legs for a bit and enjoy nature.: Nat grinned, happy with this idea. "Well, I don't really want to over exert my body while hiking..." Bucky trailed off, causing Nat to roll her eyes. "James. You can be so boring sometimes." She laughed at his lame excuse for not going on a hike. "You know me, I'm all about relaxation and romance." He smirked. "Okay, then. My last option. Hudson.  It's a great touristy destination. You can relax and go shopping. Go for a historic tour. It's a great place to just do what couples usually do on a small trip." She concluded.

"Hmm, so many great options..." Bucky said, pretending to think deeply about it. 'I already know what you decided, Barnes." She smirked, moving closer to him. "Oh, what did I decide Miss Romanoff?" He teased, also moving closer. She walked up behind him and wrapped her hands around his waist. She then moved leaned in and whispered."The most romantic place for us to go." She said seductively, making him shiver. "Yeah, that's exactly where I want to go. The beautiful beach." He smiled. "Okay, we have a plan." She said, pulling herself away from him. "I thought we were having a moment." Bucky groaned. "Not anymore" She laughed. 'Come on, got some packing to do." She said, taking his hand.