Chapter 3

When Nat and Bucky reached the abandoned warehouse, they went all mission mode. Forgetting about their little flirtation behind them for the moment. As they stepped inside, they found the place in complete darkness. They both sent each other silent signals, splitting up in different directions.

It was too quiet in here. All of a sudden she had a scary thought, what if it was a trap. Before she could warn Bucky, she felt someone behind her. A Hydra agent. Her natural instinct kicked in and she attacked the guy behind her. Within 30 Seconds, the guy was knocked out. "James! We need to get out of here, we were ambushed." She shouted.

Before she could say anything else, she suddenly felt a sharp pain in her stomach, she was shot. "Dam"she grunted as she tried running away from the agents. She didn't get far. She was lying on the floor as the agents towered over. Their hands were on the rifle, ready to pull the trigger when Bucky shot them down, yelling."Get the hell away from her."

Once they were all taken out, did he go to her. She tried to casually wave if off. "I'm fine. It's just a graze." She told him, trying not to make him worry. "You wouldn't be on the floor if you were fine." He said, as he gently picked her up in his arms. "No, put me down. You don't need to carry me. I can walk perfectly by myself."Nat protested. Bucky just ignored her. "Nat is down, I repeat Nat is down." Bucky said to comms

When they reached the car, Bucky placed Nat gently in the back seat. "Try not move a lot." He sad seriously. She just nodded. She wanted him to hold her again. Was it bad that she craved it so desperately. When they reached the Avengers tower, medics were already waiting outside. Bucky just ignored them, as he took Nat in his arms and went straight to the medical room, where Dr Cho was already waiting for them.

"Ms Romonoff, it seems you are the unfortunate one this time." Dr Cho stated. "It does feel that bad, honestly. I just need to bandage it up and it will be alright." Nat stated as Bucky laid her down in the hospital bed. She winced in pain. Big mistake because Bucky saw her reaction. "Oh really, then why did you wince." He questioned. "That's because your hands were cold." She said defensively. "You didn't say anything when I carried you to the car or when I carried you here." He smirked. "Ok, fine. I'm hurt. Just stop talking." Nat groaned. Bucky laughed.

"You guys make such a cute couple." Dr Cho smiled. "We are not a couple."Nat and Bucky said at the same time. "Oh, I know... I'm just saying if you ever get together, you will make a cute couple." Dr Cho smiled even more. Nat and Bucky were silent, although the redness on their faces said so much. "You know what I left something in Dr Banners lab. I will be right back." She said as she left the room.

"So... Why didn't you want to admit being hurt? I mean everyone gets hurt sometimes. Not everyone is invincible. It's okay to be vulnerable sometimes." Bucky questioned. "That's the thing, I don't like being vulnerable. I can take care of myself. It's been like that for my whole life." Nat said quietly. "Maybe we can be vulnerable together." Bucky said softly. The were both silent. Bucky the leaned forward preparing for a kiss. Nat leaned in as well. Their lips were inches apart when Steve walked into the room.

They both quickly jumped apart. "Oh sorry, did I interrupt something." Steve smirked. Before Nat could respond, Bucky replied "Yes you did." He said annoyed. Both Steve and Nat were surprised by his response. Nat was going to decline that anything was happening. Clearing his throat, " Buck, I need to talk to you." Steve said awkwardly. "Ok." Bucky said as he and Steve left the room, when Steve was out of earshot he told Nat. "We will finish this later." He winked at her. Making Nat go red.

Once Bucky and Steve were out of the room, Steve became a whole lot serious. "So Buck, I know you and Nat have been getting close recently..." Steve stated. "Well... Yeah but nothing has happened yet... Maybe because you 'rudely' interrupted us." He chuckled.

"The thing is Buck, Fury noticed this too." Steve said grimly, causing Bucky to stiffen. "He said that you guys need some time apart. Just for a few weeks..." Steve said softly. "Steve, Nat and I didn't do anything. Not exactly. Why is Fury doing this?" Bucky asked getting angry. "He just doesn't want your emotions compromising a mission." Steve said gravely.

"So for the next few weeks, you and I will be going on missions together." Steve stated. "Who will be Nat's new partner?" Bucky asked curiously. "Tony. He will be letting Nat know after she is out of the medical room. Bucky sighed. "How long did you say it's going to be?" "3 weeks."

**** 3 weeks later ***
"Ms Romanoff, you've been quiet. In fact you have been unusually quiet in the past 3 weeks. I'm sure it has to do with Barnes." Tony stated. Nat agreed with Tony, but it's not like she will admit it, especially to him. "No it isn't. I've just been tired that's all. She defended. "Natasha, you can't fool me. I know you to fancy each other. It's really obvious." He stated.

Nat sighed. "You're right, about James I mean. To be honest we were just flirting with each other, I didn't think it would end up being something more.with everything that happened with Bruce, I didn't want to fall for someone again." Nat admitted.

"Even though It kills me to say this, I believe Barnes is good for you and you are good for him ." Tony said kindly. "Wow Tony, that was really nice." Nat smiled. "I know, I have my moments." He said proudly. "Great way to ruin the moment." She said as she slapped his arm. "Wait, is really that obvious?" She asked. "Very." He laughed.

Later that day, when Nat was getting ready for bed, she could hear Bucky laughing downstairs. She sighed. She missed him. She hadn't seen him since the day in the medical room. That was the day Tony told her they were reassigning partners.

As she went to bed, her only thoughts were of Bucky. A few hours later, she began tossing and turning in her bed. She then started screaming in terror as if someone was torturing her. Bucky couldn't bear to hear Nat in pain, so he decided to do what she did when he had nightmares. He crept inside quietly.

When he saw the state she was in, he felt like crying. She doesn't deserve to be put through this he thought. As he sat down on the bed next to her, he gently shook her. Bad idea. When she woke up she almost punched him. "Geez, glad I'm not like that when you wake me up." He joked.

"James...I'm sorry. What are you doing here." She questioned. "You were having a nightmare." he said softly. "Oh" she muttered. They were both silent for a few minutes, she spoke first. "I missed you." She said softly. "I missed you too." They then sent the rest of the night in each other's arms. For the first time in a long times Nat felt safe.