prologue

"She's foaling!!" Little Luca yelled to his dad. The new mare they had gotten from an auction was pacing her stall. They found out she was pregnant when they got her back home from about two months ago.

Luca's dad walked in and put his large hand on luca's shoulder. The father beamed down at his son. The two watched as the mare went through labor and helped her when it was needed.

Soon there was a little Clydesdale filly laying on the ground with the most beautiful markings on her ( cover photo is her) luca was grinning from ear to ear. "She's perfect" he breathed. Luca fell in love with the little filly instantly.

"Happy 5th birthday luca, she's your's now. She needs a name" luca's father gestured to the little foal trying to stand on wobbly legs. Luca looked estatic and hugged his father's leg

"Thank you!!" He stepped in the stall with the mare and foal slowly. The foal looked at him and luca gasped slightly. The filly had the most precious amber colored eyed. " your name will be amber." luca says as he holds his hand out slightly enough for the foal to sniff. With an unsteady step foward the filly gently placed her soft velvet muzzle in his hand.

It was a sad night no more than an hour later the Clydesdale mare was killed. It was odd, they had gone inside to get warm from the chilled barn when there was a gunshot that rung out through the cold night air.

Frantic and frightened luca ran back out to the barn to see the mare with a bullet hole through her head and his foal no where in sight. "Daddy!!!" Luca screamed. His father ran out and stoped dead in his tracks as he came upon the scene. He grabbed luca and held the boy in his arms while he cryed.

" someone killed her!" Luca wailed and sobbed " they also took my little amber!!"

"Calm down my boy" his father hushed and tryed to sooth mine " we'll find her." Not so short after he said that did they hear a soft whinny and a clatter above them in the loft. The father set luca on his feet and climbed the latter to see the little foal laying in a hay pile.

Gapping at the foal he mumbles under his breath. "Luca come here" the little boy scrambles up next to his father and lets out a silent scream. Stumbling up the rest of the way he hugs the tiny foal and crys in her soft neck.