chapter 26

My hips sway to Luca's gait as we walk through the forest on an old deer path. The other horses are behind us chatting. I listen to the nicker and soft whinnys and distinctly try to ignore the gruff snorts of sarah.

Luca raises his head and stops. I lurch foward at the sudden movement and struggle not to yelp. Luca's ears perk up and he looks towards the exit of the woods. Their was a fair going on. I could hear it.

Luca used to take me to them when I was still in his barn. He would show me on ground. I won him a blue ribbon and I'd never seen his face so proud...

I'm pulled back to reality when Luca heads toward the fair. It startles me and I speak. "What are you doing?!" I glare at the spot between his ears when he shakes his head. Sighing I decide to trust him.

He plods along the narrow path to the open feild where the fair takes place. I can already smell the food. My stomach grumbles slightly and I frown. This is not the place for me to get food. We have more important things to do I think to myself as We break through the trees. I lift a hand to shield my eyes from the sun.

As I do so a voice shouts at me from my left. "Oye! Lady! You can't just bring your horses here!" Startled I look towards the voice and see a bearded man leaning over the fence of a Farris wheel waiting line.

"But...I'm here to perform with my horses sir. There is a show isn't there?" I say quickly. If I remember right any place of entertainment will welcome money. " I can even promise 25% of the money to the fair."

He looks at me and his eyes stop on my mid section. I look down too and notice the bulge there. Its only slight but it was obvious I'm pregnant. I look back up at him and give a small smile.

"All right... I'll see what I can do. My name is Sam by the way and you are..?" He stares at me expectantly.

"Amber, my name is Amber." Luca shifts towards the man as I speak. He looks at the man and sniffs him. Suddenly he lets out a squeal and backs away. "What is wrong with you!" I gasp as I move to slide off. My stomach makes it awkward and it bumps me away. I fall backwards but firm arms grab me before I hit the ground.

"Careful there Amber, wouldnt want to hurt that load you're carrying." Sam says from behind me. He lifts me up to standing position but lets go instantly.

Luca has Sam pressed back aginst the railing. His nostrils flaring and this neck quivering. Every muscle in his body was on edge. "Hey! Luca back off!" I stomp over to him. I smack his nose and he bolts away with kicks and bucks.

I glare after him and apologize greatly to Sam. He chuckles and tells me not to worry about it. I huff and glare over my shoulder at luca again. The other horses graze and keep an eye on me.

"Would you like for me to get some halters and rope...?" Sam asks. I shake my head.

"No, they're fine. They won't go far." I murmer watching the foals. Mia raises her head and walks over to me. She rubs her head in to my arms and I kiss her nose.

"My my, dont you have a way with horses."Sam grins at me and I blush slightly. "Alright this way, you can keep them here for now...."