Three

There was a special sort of chaos that occurred at school dances. Forbidden kisses and spiked punch, lingering looks and sinful dances. No matter who tried to keep the peace, they never managed to. Though the theme seemed to lack interest to most of the students, they made the most of it, another chance to drink with friends and party like it was in their nature.

Tonight however did not only offer the the possibility of a drunken haze. It promised so much more to the few who knew what was truly happening on this very dance floor. We were being watched undoubtedly. Whether our enemy had sent others to do his work or he was here to do it himself.

There was no possibility that he had not taken the opportunity to learn how we worked and scope out the enemy for himself.

"Thanks for being here everybody!" Some overly energetic student called from the stage.

"We have a special shout out tonight. This is for Elena, from Klaus!" And so the song began to play, the soft melody floating through the speakers. To the one i love. I bit back the laugh that threatened me, if only because of the Salvatore's faces. So unamused and slightly agitated. 

"That was a lame cheap shot. He's just tying to bait us." Damon scoffed. 

"I know everyone here." Elena spoke with a tone laced along her voice.

"Maybe he's not here, just wants us to believe he is." Stefan tried to mediate her.

"Then act as though he is here, better to be prepared then surprised." I told the pair, eyeing Stefan more so. He was the one who would keep Elena close tonight, sway her to leave if need be. 

"It's a party people, blend let him come to us." Damon ordered taking my hand. 

"Good idea." Bonnie agreed.

"No, no i don't feel like dancing." Her date refused.

"To bad." She retorted leaving us four behind.

"There's Ric, we'll be back." Damon assured Elena and Stefan.

"Miss Ashire." He nodded to me linking our arms together as he parted the crowds. Ric was stood alone surrounded by students, his face passive as we came to him. 

"Special dedication huh? This guys a little twisted." He shuffled on his feet as we came to a halt beside him. 

"I'm not impressed." Damon dismissed it.

"No?" He sounded shocked.

"Let me know if you see anything out of whack." My friend then looked to me.

"You staying here to keep an eye on Bonnie?" I nodded turning to the punch bowl.

"You know what we discussed Damon, don't get caught up." I ordered as he mockingly saluted, i poured two drinks as he left offering one to the stranger beside me.

"What did you two discuss?" He offered a smile for the drink before asking.

"You ask to many questions." I snipped.

"I'm a history major and teacher, i like to know things." I accepted the answer.

"Then know this. I told Damon I'd offer you up like a lamb to the slaughter if i see the opportunity." He halted his movements, his drink lingering near his lips.

"Why?" I turned to look at him, eyeing him in assessment.

"Your human, useless to the efforts it would take to save the other one. Frankly i don't trust any of you aside from the Salvatore's, at least the witch and blonde vampire have some use." I shrugged.

"I've hunted vampires for years of my life, i know what it will take to kill this guy." I laughed lowly.

"Your amusing." I spoke as he narrowed his eyes.

"Well your overly confident and frankly your rude." I sucked my teeth at his words.

"I feel as though i have offended you or are you just naturally defensive?" I questioned.

"Your threatening to kill me." I shrugged at him.

"I do that to everyone. Equality and all that." My eyes roamed to the couple upon the dance floor, the witch was safe and seemed to be enjoying herself, then i looked to the other pair, who were also fine.

"You should be careful, immortality is a fickle thing." I hummed at his words, turning back to him.

"Death is my best friend." If only he knew. Ric's eyes sparkled with joy.

"I think this is bonding." He joked. I shuck dramatically.

"On that note i'm going to go get a stronger drink Ric." He nodded as i turned.

"Already on a nickname basis i see." I scoffed.

"I just haven't bothered to learn your real name." I informed disappearing into the crowd. I didn't hear what he said after that, if he said anything at all, instead i focused on the rowdy shuffle of teen boys. Wondering which one i could snatch a special drink from.

I ended up with a bottle of something tangy, roaming the halls of a school i hadn't ever been to. The lockers were decorated from children who's imaginations had been moulded by the masses and the whole place had a certain naivety to it. 

I wondered that if my childhood had been any different would my fate have changed. Perhaps i could have grown into an artist or a musician apposed to the life that was now set in stone for me. The bottle in my hand got heavier. 

I glanced down taking another drink. Sating the weight on my shoulders and in my grasp. 

For now there were different paths for me to choose until all the branches lapped together to form my end. Saving a doppelganger being the most recent, at the thought i decided to relapse the school, heading in the direction of the gym once more. The shaking sense of danger bit at my heels forcing me to go faster and the paranoia in my mind screamed that something was wrong.

Maybe it was instinct or the fuel of liquor in my veins but my body stared me away from the huddle in the gym, instead my legs carried me past it, down unfamilar hallways and past strange class rooms. Like a tick in my mind the beats got faster and faster, a sensation i had felt many times before.

A smirk of pure devilish intent formed on my face because i knew, knew that someone was at the end of the sensation i was following. Someone would face me tonight.

A laugh tore from me at the sight i witnessed, pure joy of being right. There, around the corner i had turned stood two rigid women apposed to a man. All in time for the chaos of course. Elena turned in shock as Ric's eyes fell to me.

"Eris it's him! It's Klaus." She told me in panic.

"Then you better run little bird."