Forty-Three

There is something wrong in the air of Mystic Falls.

Panic swiftly takes over. The streets seem far to quiet, the air far more bitter then before. 

If there was one thing i had learnt over my duration of stay in Mystic falls, it was that things didn't get done by themselves.

And to find someone was far easier when encased in numbers.

But with my panic my patience waned.

The town square is dull, only the odd couple walking about at this time of night. I swiftly pull the car to a stop as i swerve around the fountain. Able latches onto his seatbelt with a wicked grin as i slam on the breaks.

I'm cooled by the nights wind as i take in a breath. The same looming sense gnawing at my entirety. 

I decide desperate measures require risky solutions.

Black smoke rises from every crevice in the floor. Cool wisps of air turning feral as they form into thick black wolves. Lucid and untameable but physical and fearsome.

As they form they dart off in an array of directions. Covering Mystic Falls quicker then i could have done by car or on foot.

And then i'm pulled to a darker side of town. A gut wrenching heartache tugging in my veins. 

I turn to able with demanding eyes.

"Find me later." I rush off, encased in smoke without a second to spare. 

I barge through the storage facility quickly, leaving a trail of blazing anger behind me. Anyone who's crossed my path has suffered at its horridness, leaving a path of hording people to follow. An advantage if at the end of this harrowing line stood something terrible.

The pull of string finally snaps when i  open a storage locker.

And a sight that took my breath away shuddered through my veins. 

For the man i had come to find had be found dead.

I step forward swiftly, hands rising to take away the deathly look. My eyes scan the room for answers, anyone even.

And suddenly everything is wrong with the world.

I shake my head down at him, tears that had been neglected for a thousand years rushing, all to fall out at once. I swipe under my eyes before falling before the coffin. Angered yells rush from my lips as i curse a thousand moons.

I'm hot with red fury.

Refusing to look back and assure my mind of what had happened. 

They say the first stage is Denial.

I pick up the burner phone i had shoved in my pocket. Dialling a number i had memorised. Kyrin picks up instantly.

"Hello?

"I need you to get back to Mystic Falls." I'm out of breath, harping in missing air.

"You need to save Nik, you need to bring him back." I'm nodding to myself assuring that this would all be fine and that Kyrin would turn trouble to ash and dust as he always had.

But then he arrives and the words i do not wish to hear float from his tongue.

"It's not working." He looks confused as his hand hovers over Klaus's body. 

"I can't find his soul." I shake my head at him desperately before i'm pulled to my most natural emotion.

Then comes Anger.

"I'm going to find whoever did this. I swear it Kyrin, i'll burn all of Mystic Fall's. Everyone in it." I yell furiously nervous and harrowing laughter leaving me effortlessly. 

"I'll burn the world if they run, scorch it in my wake." I promise furiously before turning back to him in his coffin.

What i had lost hits me harder then what i was going to do.

And i begin to Bargain

"Why aren't i dead? Am i doomed to spend eternity without him? Why haven't i died Kyrin? Am i cursed?" I shake my head before thinking logically.

"Tell the dead witches to find him, ill take his place. If they give him back ill take his place." It must have been them, to hide him from Kyrin like the wretches they were. He couldn't be gone forever.

My adrenaline rush for plotting revenge crashes as i once again catch a glimpse of his ashen skin.

I slump to the floor pressing my palms into my eyes to stop the flow of mournful tears. 

Kyrin sits beside me after a moment.

Just when i began to enter my Depression.

"Calm down sister. You need to breathe." I can barely hear him from the pounding in my head and heart.

"I was supposed to die Kyrin. Why am i forced to live on in this pain." I slink my head back as i force air into my lungs.

"I don't know dear Eris, i just know you don't deserve it." We sit in silence then and i can not tell how many hours pass contemplating the day. 

I felt like i had lost a million tears to the earths soil.

Like the sky had fallen and no matter how hard i tried to keep it up, it crumbles and crashes anyway.

I felt silenced to the light and darkness. Where i had come to finally speak what i wanted of the world, whom i wanted it with... I had been hushed at even my attempt.

All those in this world i could speak my sorrow to lay dead. None could offer the comfort he had. None could console and understand as he did. 

Kyrin is gone by the time i look back up.

I'm dying to say a thousand things to Nik as if he is still here to listen to them. To hear me as he always had.

I get back up, deciding that if this were the last time i was going to see him, i was going to make the most of it. Finding beauty in his existence.

"I wish i could gift you the colour that has left your face and stolen life from your veins. I wish i had never left, chosen you above everyone as i always should have. I should have seen who was on my side all along. And i should not have to say my goodbye when you can not hear it." I suck in a breath as i take a step closer.

"My final wish is for a miracle, as eternity just became so much longer now that you are not in it." I lean down and kiss his head, my tears dropping to his dull skin below as i use my thumb to wipe it away.

"Goodbye Nik, I love you." My whisper is left alone in the silent storage unit, only accompanied by the ghost of my Acceptance