Thirty

The quarry was a flicker of looming lights, a fire widespread accompanied by the dull whisper of a witches chanting. Esther had been surprised to see the four of us as we approached, Kyrin still hidden somewhere in the wings to watch.

Niklaus, Elijah, Kol and I came to a halt outside of her salted circle, casting our glances of hated inside. 

"Stay beside me mother." The eldest, Finn stretched out his arm. 

"Its alright, they can't enter." Despite her words Kol tried to move towards her, sending the flames into uproar.

"That's lovely, we're stuck out here whilst the favourite son plays sacrificial lamb, how pathetic you are Finn." I remained indifferent despite how Kol's words amused me.

"Be quiet Kol, your brother knows virtue you can not even imagine." Esther shuck her head in distain at the younger brother.

"Whatever your opinions of us, killing your own children will be an atrocity." Elijah, ever the noble one.

"My only regret is that i did not let you die a thousand years ago." What a fantastic mother, no wonder her children were as tormented as they were.

"Enough, all this talk is boring me. End this now mother or i will send you back to hell." Now the party had began and all it had taken was for Klaus to step forward.

"For a thousand years i have suffered the pain of every victim, all those years you shed blood. Even you Elijah with your claim to nobility, your no better. All of you, your a curse on this earth, strung along over centuries. If you have come to plead for your life, im sorry you have wasted your time." Her words had finally struck a cord in my silence.

"Please, cease your incessant drivel. The fault in your spell is your burden to bare Esther." I glanced to my phone as a text lit upon my face.

Leon

With Salvatore's, found the witches, mother Bennett and Bonnie. Orders? 

"It is a fault i am trying to fix, do you not see-"

"Enough." I snarled.

"Even you Eris Ashire are a plague, i hope the witches will forgive me for my wrong doings when i end you." I felt Klaus shake by my side as he moved closer, my own demeanour more relaxed then his. 

I sent a text to my brother.

Tell Damon to change the mother, stop the channelling. 

Leon

Cruel little thing.

"All this talk and so little chanting, you have wasted your time." Now the feral smirk grew as the fire flickered around us. 

"Sisters! Do not abandon me." I would have liked to watch her suffer had the fire not sparked out forcing a certain original hybrid to grasp onto me and shield me from the flames. Once it had all fully fizzled out we moved back to the now empty site. 

Kol took his time glancing around the place as Kyrin came stalking from the tree line.

"A wicked thing you ordered tonight sister, to a friends family no less." He taunted me as i remained stoic and impassive.

"Bonnie knew not to meddle in affairs as large as this." Even in my justification i felt sour. I shuck off the worry plaguing my mind. Perhaps i was a plague myself. 

"And she suffered the price set." Kyrin comforted raising a hand to stroke it down my arm, even his warmth couldn't tame the cold in my heart, thriving in my skin.

Though someone's could and it did.

I felt him near, watched as my brother nodded to him and left, heard the sigh that had become memorised. The one that spoke a thousand hardships of choosing a path rockier then the others. 

For a moment i pondered if i should just brush Klaus off tonight, go home with this tainted victory and drown my self in liquor. Knowing Esther still breathed with the means to end a family i had deemed protected. 

Though like all else he found a way to ruin my plans, the moment his arms wrapped around me and i found solace in the night. I turned to face him, pulling impassiveness into my very being, despite his eyes remaining knowing. 

"Would you like to drink with me Nik?" I asked, if only to have company in my despair. His eyes widened with shock at the invitation.

"I thought you would never ask." Klaus's playful words turned my impassive look to one of amusement and i thanked him for the change. The crown seemed heavier and the burden had started to build. 

Elena, a friend i had tried to protect had offered her blood up to a witch who had nothing to give but horror and pain. Damon a brother figure had been dazed by Esther's promises, nearly costing my life at her lie. 

And here Klaus stood, his promises still in tact, his words truthful and intentions pure if only to me and his family.

I found myself moving further into his grip, my arms rising to encircle around him. Serenity before war, peace before conquer. 

"Are you alright?" He whispered down to me and despite his truth i offered him a lie.

"I am. Come, lets go." I pulled us away from the failed ritual site, my car still humming with life as i drove us to my hidden manor. The trees seemed to part upon my arrival and the safety of home sung a song so alluring.

We climbed the steps together as i entered the home, no patter of footfall heard in any space of the house. My family who had become a clean up crew, all out doing whatever i had commanded. Luna of the pack, keeper of wolves. 

I turned back to Klaus as he lingered in the door way. 

"My home is your home, come in." And he did with hesitant steps, his eyes roaming over the sites i had surrounded myself with. What i deemed home and comfort. The murals of four wolves or even the men on horseback. 

The fire was ashen now, the lights dim and the glasses sat empty on the table. I let him have his moment to see, the antiques of old times, books littered with age and dust and even old parchments from royals who had wished for my family's love and loyalty.

The home had no end and no beginning to our family's story. It was one of many and yet the pieces inside of it would never be lost or left behind. And now i had invited Klaus in, stood amongst things i had held sacred and refused to forget. I watched him silently as i poured us a drink and in a second of split decision i decided.

Decided that he had become one of these things and no matter how difficult i found this crown, no matter how heavy it became i would wear it and be crooked. If only to keep him safe and sacred amongst the riches.

Like a dragon and its jewels.