Chapter 1 - "Special"

Shiina Kisaragi's POV:

From the moment I enrolled at Hoshizaki Private Academy, my peers ridiculed me for my above-average height, and my heart weighed like bricks in my chest. Numerous times growing up I dreamed about leading the glorious high school life depicted in the media I absorbed. Yet, in reality, I was stuck feeling like a major outcast. I couldn't find parts of myself to love, and deemed it impossible for others to ever love me.

My naivety in that regard blinded me.

When I met him, especially.

Kamakiri was unquestionably my type. I fell for his looks. Then, his smile, and his offhanded acknowledgement of my existence. It took me longer than necessary to recognize his true colours differed far from the version my delusional, lovesick mind had conjured. It wasn't a stretch to say they could've passed as two separate people. Having gotten my heart crushed, I never expected for our paths to cross again. That I'd willingly go so far as to teach myself how to cook in order to repay his acts of kindness, and repeatedly visit him to get his input.

He was extremely hardheaded, had a twisted personality, and spoke in short, blunt sentences. Beneath that, however, lay a softer side he let few bear witness to. His sharp tongue in particular was a huge contrast to his domestic hobbies. He loved to read, cook, knit, sew, clean—largely clean, he was the biggest neat freak. The Kamakiri I'd gotten to know differed greatly from the Kamakiri I initially met, but I found myself falling for him all over again. Others criticized me for it. Even he did, ironically. But both my heart and mind were set.

When I said I'd give him my heart again, and when he promised he'd treasure it, it was like I was living straight out of a fairy tale. Kamakiri wasn't a prince on his white steed, but he was still my prince.

"Nope. Impossible. Find somebody else."

All right, maybe prince wasn't the most accurate term.

"Please?" I said, putting on my best puppy-dog pout.

Kamakiri had the audacity to narrow his eyes. "Stop acting cute. If you want a picture, I'll take one on my phone."

"Those aren't as memorable, though." I circled around him and pushed him from behind, towards the photo booth. "I'm not taking no for an answer."

"No."

I dug my heels into the pavement. What was his body was made out of? I was pushing a legitimate wall.

"Cheapskate," I huffed, retreating to wipe the sweat that'd formed on my brow. "Since you had books reserved at the public library, I kept you company to get them."

His lips pursed.

"Then instead of visiting Mt. Foodji, I let you choose where we ate. We even dropped by that arts and crafts store so you could—"

"I get it," he said. "I dragged you around a lot today."

"In general."

"In general. Yet you obediently tag along and never complain. Constantly grinning with your tongue dangling outside of your mouth like an idiot. What are you, a canine?"

"My tongue is not out!" I puffed out my cheek. Veering my gaze, I fidgeted between feet. "Is it wrong that I like spending time with you? Being with you. . . is my favourite thing."

We were smack dab in the middle of the mall—individuals chatting their evening away and ducking into nearby stores. The silence that ensued amplified my stuttering heartbeat. My skin burned. Kamakiri wasn't in any better state—a blatant blush colouring his cheeks.