Chapter 2 - "Until the End of Time"

Naoto Kisaragi's POV:

As the years passed, and the things I wanted to protect increased one by one, my weaknesses and fears gradually turned into strengths.

For anniversaries and celebrations she rarely experienced growing up, Sachiko went all out for Shiina and Mao. On rainy days, she spun her umbrella and watched rainbows form. On clear nights, she waited until the first star came out so she could make a wish. No matter how much older we got, her youthful charm never faded.

By the time Shiina and Mao reached middle school, both had already begun to outgrow her.

"Mom! What was that for?"

"You kids are so adorable. If you were having a movie marathon, why didn't you invite me? I've got movies that'll have you crapping your pants for real!"

"'Cause Shii and I are still recovering from the last movie you forced on us." Rinnosuke, Shiina's childhood friend, chastised Sachiko alongside her. "I was queasy all week."

"You ran off at the best part. If you gave it a couple of more seconds, body parts would've flung. Now that I'd understand losing your appetite over."

Shiina sighed. "Talking to her is meaningless, Rin-Rin. She gets off on other people's suffering."

Sachiko yanked her backward. Shiina collapsed onto her lap whereby she wrapped her up in a confining embrace. "Now, now. Spiting people is fun, but not as fun as your reactions. Why wouldn't I want to see all sides of my beautiful daughter?"

"Because it's a bother."

"I do it out of love for you. Accept my affection."

"If your affection is as twisted as it is, spare me."

At the entrance of the living room, watching this all befall with a small smile playing at my lips, I barely heard the front door open and close. "Mao, you're finally home? How was school?"

Slipping off her shoes for slippers, Mao darted right by me without a shift in expression or lingering glance.

I recoiled.

"You're incredibly gloomy, you know that?" Rinnosuke told her when she entered the living room.

"What's it to you, Rin?" she scoffed. Promptly, she addressed Sachiko and Shiina then rolled her eyes. "If you don't need anything, I'll be in my room."

Within seconds, she was upstairs.

The door to her bedroom slammed shut.

I repositioned my glasses. "Mao. . ."

"She'll break out of her shell eventually," Sachiko reassured me from across the room. "Mao's just awkward with expressing herself. Like her very own father."

I hoped that was the case. The other day, I bought her favourite dessert and while she readily accepted it, she slammed her door on my face, adamant she eat alone. When she was younger, she was a lot more expressive. Would ask to hold my hand and give me kisses on the cheek and would giddily invite me to her school for career day.

My shoulders slumped. "My little girls are all grown up. . ."

"They've got plenty more growing to do," Sachiko remarked.

"Yeah, don't get all sappy and gross, old man," Rinnosuke said.

I glared at him.

He stuck out his tongue.

"Shiina," Sachiko interjected before I could do something I'd regret. "What're you ogling at a time like this?"

Still wrapped in Sachiko's arms, Shiina tapped around on her phone. "Kano."

"The dreamy lead singer of that band you love? Mortal whatever? Poor Rin doesn't stand a chance."

"Why are you assuming I have no chance?" Rinnosuke took direct offence. "Shii's my number one fan! I'm already first place in her heart!"

He looked at her for emphasis.

Shiina laughed. "Yup. You're very adorable, Rin-Rin."

Struck by an invisible arrow, he stumbled. "Kano's 'dreamy' but I'm 'adorable.'"

Sachiko barked out a laugh. "That's my daughter. The oblivious heartbreaker."

"Just you wait," Rinnosuke remarked. "Once I make my big break and become an idol, Shii'll have no choice but to see me in a different light!"

"And I can't wait to see it." Yanking him toward herself, Sachiko hugged them both in her arms. "For both of you to grow up, make stupid decisions and learn from them, have your dreams slowly and surely become a reality. Every year you guys give me more of a reason to be proud of you. By the time I'm old and wrinkly, I'll be the proudest mother of my little rascals."

"Mom, we get it," Shiina complained. "Stop it with the hugs."

"I'm not your son," Rinnosuke agreed.

Laughing, she squeezed them one final time before hopping off the couch. "I've got to pop back in my office for a bit. I lucked out. There's a huge scoop waiting to get covered and they gave me the lead."

"Will you be okay?" I asked.

"No need to worry, I'll be fine," she cooed as she grabbed her car keys and coat. "I'll be back in a few hours or so. Rin, you better stop flirting with my daughter."

Rinnosuke blushed all the while Shiina blinked in confusion.

"Guess I'm in charge of dinner again," I sighed.

Smiling, Sachiko pushed to her tip-toes and kissed my cheek.

"When I return, we're all marathoning the bloodiest movies I choose!" she cheered on her way out the door. "Eat light just in case. Let Mao know too, okay?"

They groaned.

It was a completely menial exchange. A scene so normal, a conversation so typical, the unexpected was the last thing on our minds.

She supplied happiness to us so effortlessly. Blessed it upon us like second nature. We took it for granted. Believed our daily lives would stretch on forever. Believed the future we drew together on multiple occasions was well within our grasps.

We wandered through life alone, and suddenly, we had each other. Each other had become everything that we needed.

I got so used to her being there.

Never in a million years could I imagine my life without her. Never in a million years could I imagine having to say goodbye.

Until, suddenly, and all at once, I had to.