Chapter 3 - "Party Preparations II"

NARUMI
(3 days before her birthday. . .)

"A cake for Kisaragi," he mused to himself.

He could go off gut instinct, but he should aim to get her one she'd enjoy.

The other day, he witnessed her eating a chocolate bar. Then again, she ordered tons of melon bread the time they went out on their day off. She contentedly ate strawberries on more than one occasion, too. . .

Outright asking her what her preferences were was out of the picture. That would require him to muster the courage to actually talk to her. When it came to others, he could maintain his cool. In front of her, solely when it came to her, it deteriorated.

"Are you finding it difficult to choose a cake?" The shopkeeper transferred Jin Narumi from his spiralling thoughts. Her lopsided smile carried mischief. "Ah, is it possibly for your girlfriend?"

Pink claimed his skin in an instant. "W-we're not. . . !"

"No need to be shy. You hold her dear, don't you?" Wrinkles creased her cheeks. "I'd reckon a lot more than you give off. Is it for her birthday?"

She was running her mouth. Obviously, if she put it in the way she did, he had no choice but to agree. But agreeing meant accepting the possibility that one day the two of them would be boyfriend and girlfriend. . .

Steam spurted from his ears.

Okay, he'd banish the idea for now. On behalf of his feeble heart.

Although his imagination ran rampant, they were technically friends.

Friends. . .

The word filled him with elation. It wasn't one others regularly addressed him by. Due to his upbringing, people tended to treat him like a sympathy case—a burden. To shake off that pity, he'd built up a barrier around himself, went to great lengths, and hid his glaring flaws from the public. While people stopped looking down on him, it also steered the majority away for a different reason.

Because of his insecurities, there was a period he was needlessly harsh and cruel toward her. Now that they'd gotten closer, was it pompous that he wanted to protect her like some self-righteous knight in some fairy tale? Even if he had to do it through subtle gestures, if subtlety was all he could manage, he'd do it.

Step number one was buying an appropriate cake. He never had a birthday celebration of his own, so he was out of touch, but for her, he'd choose the best one he could.

"Yes, it is," he answered, beet red, to the owner. "Do you have any recommendations?"

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

RIN
(2 days before her birthday. . .)

"Rin? What are you doing over? Shiina isn't home yet."

"Why are you convinced I solely come over for Shii? I'll have you know I dropped by to show my face to my favourite people. Where's Mr. Naoto? Miss Chie?"

Mao pulled a face. "They're at work." Furrowing her eyebrows, she ducked left then right. "Mao is getting uncanny vibes to not let you through."

"Am I some evil spirit? Mrs. Sachiko wouldn't shoo me away."

"She would."

Chuckling under his breath, he draped his hand at his hip. "She never was my biggest fan."