Chapter 2 - "Nurse Naru"

Shiina Kisaragi's POV:

Honestly, I had nothing but worries.

The fact that, not to long ago, he'd placed a sopping wet cloth on my forehead should've been a warning.

After Naru grabbed me a mask to put on, and I returned to lying in bed, he went to refill that basin of water so he could replace my washcloth. Before my eyes, the results were just as worrying. Wringing out the cloth once with enough clumsiness to spill it everywhere, then folding it just as awkwardly, he lifted my bangs and rested it on my forehead. Water dripped everywhere, soaking my pillow, and even my neck.

Possibly because he had taken on the role of caring for me, or because he was just that confident, Naru stared at his work, completely self-assured.

Ugh. Don't do it, Shiina. Don't ruin this for him. "Um, Naru." I broke. "I appreciate this, but the water is lukewarm. It won't help reduce my fever unless it's. . ."

"Sorry, what did you say?" His innocent, happy-to-be-looking-after-me smile wore my resolve right down.

". . .You got the temperature just how I like it!" I cleared my throat, despite internally crying. "Thank you, Naru!"

He perked indescribably. "R-really? You headbutted me earlier so I thought I'd adjust it to make you more comfortable."

"No, that—that wasn't on purpose!" He took it to heart. "It was a complete accident, okay? It had nothing to do with the water temperature!"

I bit my lip.

Oh, whatever. I'd suffer through this. The next time he changed it, I'd ask for colder water.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" Naru asked, now fidgeting. "I wouldn't mind listening to your requests. I'm totally free."

Aww. He was too cute.

"Now that you mention it." My hoarse voice reached my ears. I shivered. "Can you get me another blanket from the room next door?"

Following my instructions, Naru returned with the thick blanket. He lay it over my current blanket, tucking me in on all sides.

I shifted, uncomfortably.

"Now, it's too hot," I complained. "Never mind. I don't need it."

He removed it straightaway.

"Ac-ctually, put it back. I'm f-freezing."

Although he conceded, I sweated automatically.

"Now, I'm too hot. . . Too cold. Hot. Cold. Cold. Hot."

"Kisaragi," Naru pleaded.

Eventually, we reached a compromise: leaving the blanket half-on, and putting on a pair of socks.

"Did you eat at all today?"

He posed the question when I released a breath of satisfaction.

"Er," I said, "I threw up most of it. I planned to make rice porridge but I had no energy to stand. So, I've just been drinking water."