Chapter 2 - "Our First Conversation"

Tsumugi Tsukahara's POV:

"You're awake early," Mom noted first thing Sunday morning.

"I'm working on a little something for Shiina," I replied, flashing her a petite smile. "Her concert has been set a month from now and Kiharu and I want to do something special for her. We're brainstorming a bunch of ideas, and it was all so exciting I couldn't sleep!"

A frown cut into her cheeks. "That's splendid news, honey, but you're already falling behind with cram school. If you let your academics slip any further—"

"I know, I know. I won't be able to get into the college I want," I finished, long accustomed to the lecture. Being the only child, my parents were understandably hard on me. They wanted the best for me and therefore set high expectations. I'd adjusted to the pressure over the years, though I'll admit, when I was younger, it was insufferable. "School is my priority, Mom. Always. But—but, this is Shiina's first concert! I have to be there for her one hundred—no, one thousand percent!"

Possibly because I'd shouted it, she snorted.

"What about Kiharu? The girls' soccer team is competing for a gold medal, aren't they?"

"Yes! The game is next week. Shiina and I have another surprise for that—two, actually, depending if Kiharu wins or loses."

"You're such a marvellous friend to the both of them, Tsumugi. They better be returning the favour." She snagged her purse from the couch on her way out the front door. "After my appointment, I'll swing by the shop to help your dad. Remember to bring in the mail when it arrives."

With a short glance at her watch, she sauntered out the door. Loitering by the entrance, arms folded across my lengthy skirt, I gnawed the inside of my cheek.

Unlike Kiharu, I wasn't the captain of the soccer team with infinite athletic medals, trophies, and ribbons under my belt.

Unlike Shiina, I didn't have a powerful singing voice or remarkable musical talents, nor did I single-handedly hold the affection of a handful of boys.

Mom said they should 'return the favour,' but I didn't have any feats or achievements to celebrate. All I had going for me was the fact that I was good in school. That being said, I wasn't the smartest and could hardly compete against Hachiko or Keiko, the top students in our grade. I suppose it was an honour in and of itself that somebody as plain as me got to interact with Kiharu and Shiina regularly. I didn't mind supporting them from the sidelines. In fact, I loved to. They were incredible. I'd do anything for them.

I only had myself to blame for my uninteresting personality and nonexistent love life. Often, I worried I wasn't doing enough to make the most of my life. The fear that Kiharu and Shiina would forget all about me once they struck it rich and found boyfriends kept me up at night more frequently than I'd like to admit. Eventually, we would grow distant, until we stopped talking altogether. . .

I vehemently shook my head.

I meant more to them than an occasional wall to talk to or somebody to copy homework off of. They both needed me. I was sure of it!

Shoulders slumped, I dragged my slippered feet into the kitchen. In no time at all, I whipped up a simple meal with random ingredients from the fridge and leftovers from yesterday. Accustomed to the tranquility of the house, I flickered on the television. Munching on breakfast while rewatching Rin Mizota programs and performances brightened my morning right up. It boggled my mind that Shiina and him were childhood friends. She seriously was the luckiest person on the planet!