Chapter 1 - "Sick Day"

Shiina Kisaragi's POV:

Jin Narumi was popular from the first day of school. The girls in our class loved him. His cool, mysterious demeanour, added to the fact that he had the best looks in the entire grade, bluntly put, hoisted him up as one of the hottest boys on campus.

In my opinion, though, Jin Narumi wasn't some likeable 'Ice Prince.' He was a heartless jerk. When I was at my lowest, he put me down, and as a result, made me cry. From there, we constantly stepped on each other's toes.

But Jin Narumi had a secret.

He wasn't aloof. He wasn't cool or mysterious. And he definitely wasn't a heartless jerk.

In truth, he was sensitive. He cried and blushed easier than others (me included). Because he found it difficult to be honest, he put on airs when, truthfully, he was nothing more than an awkward ball of fluff.

When I was in danger, he didn't hesitate to sacrifice his life to save me. We had been handcuffed together, so we were destined to perish side by side regardless. However, due to our forced proximity, we were able to clear up our misunderstandings. We apologized and made amends. We got a whole lot closer.

I never would have imagined I'd get along with him so well. I hadn't expected to fall for him, either. Naru's confession—clumsy and adorable as it was—came as a complete surprise. But, because of it, I realized how I felt about him.

We'd gotten off on the wrong foot, we had nothing but misunderstandings, yet here we were now, our feelings mutual.

It was funny how love worked.

All that to say, our story was going to end before it could really begin.

.

.

.

My name was Shiina Kisaragi. Your average seventeen-year-old high schooler.

And currently. . . my life was hanging by a mere thread.

The whole room spun behind my eyelids. Flat on my back, shivering underneath my covers, I heaved and heaved to catch my breath. Although I had a cooling pad over my forehead, it didn't help at all. I was overheating and freezing all at the same time. I sweated through all my clothes. Whenever I coughed, my chest ached. My strength was leaving me.

Even if I wanted to move, I was dizzy. Was it possible to feel super dizzy lying down?

I was dying.

I was going to die.

"On this journey, Mao will search for the cure for Shiina's cold! Do not perish until then!"

Dad, Chie, and Mao had left town hours ago.

Mao was exaggerating, per usual. But, five hours later, here I was: a total mess.

I hadn't been this sick in years. Or maybe ever.

It sounded like an exaggeration, and I was aware of that, but considering how my condition had abruptly worsened, I had little faith in my immune system. Moreover, on the off chance I was minutes from seeing the light, nobody was at home to help me.

With my jittery fingers, I removed the thermometer from under my tongue.

39.1°C.

That was extremely bad.

That was extremely bad, wasn't it?

An hour ago, it was 38.9 degrees. It was getting worse.

This couldn't be happening. I was too young to kick the bucket. The symptoms hit me suddenly last night. A sore throat. A tiny cough. When I woke up this morning, I had a slight fever and a louder cough, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. Since it was Saturday, I didn't have to worry about missing school. But, I did have to sit out on this two-day family trip. As soon as they left, that's when my symptoms worsened, and worsened, and worsened. At some point, I lost the energy to stand so I'd been wrapped up in bed since.