Chapter 3 - "Out of Touch"

Shiina Kisaragi's POV:

"You didn't get to eat lunch, Shiina?" Tsumugi demanded when we exited the building after school.

Kiharu elbowed her in the side and waggled her eyebrows. "She was too busy having another meal if ya' get what I'm saying."

"Hey!"

She barked a laugh. Tsumugi, after piecing together her ambiguous implication, gaped.

"Must be nice being young," Kiharu cooed, readjusting her bag over her shoulder.

My blush intensified. "We're the same age."

"Nah, you're beyond us now. Explored domains we can only dream of. Have some shame. We're on school property."

"We just kissed," I asserted, not appreciating her suggestive undertone.

"This girl is proudly telling us how she swapped saliva. And has the audacity to say 'just.'"

"It's worse than we feared."

I smacked them. They snickered then looped their arms through mine.

Burying my exasperation, I heeded the extra weight in my backpack that was slowing me down. "I'll have to enjoy Kamakiri's food at home. I would take notes but whenever I eat his cooking, it's impossible. One second it's there and the next, it's gone. I gobble it all up before I notice it's finished."

Kiharu nodded. "His skills put professional chefs to shame. Yet he can't be bothered to share his talent with the world. That homebody."

I slumped my shoulders. "How hard is it to win his heart through my cooking? His can wow me without breaking a sweat."

"You're too cute, Shiina," Tsumugi giggled. "Is this really something to be competitive about?"

"I'm sick of 'not bads' and 'you're getting there.' Insincere praise because I'm his girlfriend doesn't count. Until he wholeheartedly grins and says my cooking is delicious, I won't give up!"

"Don't burn yourself out," Kiharu said. "You're already working yourself to the bone with band practice."

"I can't wait for your next concert," Tsumugi agreed. "Did Kamakiri say he'll wear his Infinite Creation t-shirt that we made him? He still has it, right?"

I pinned my gaze to the cloudy sky.

"Not sure?"

They blinked at me.

"I mean, since Kamakiri has a book release he's looking forward to the same day, I told him he doesn't have to come."

"Are you dumb?" Kiharu demanded.

I pulled a face. "Why do I keep being called dumb lately?"

"Because you are," my best friends chorused.

"Did he accept that?" Kiharu pressed.

"We haven't brought it up since we talked about it last month," I replied. "Is it that important? If he isn't interested in music, wouldn't it be torturous if I forced him to attend all of our concerts?"

"Shiina, you need to be greedier about these things. I get you're thinking of him, but you outright telling him not to show up must've hurt his feelings."

Did it? He brushed it aside rather nonchalantly, though.

"How out of touch is he?" Tsumugi asked. "He has to have at least one favourite artist—album."

"Nope." I shrugged. "Mentioning music to him is like talking to a wall. Movies, TV shows, anime, or any forms of entertainment. Even technology, for the most part. All over his head."