Chapter 2 - "Ryota the Familiar"

Mao Kisaragi's POV:

Be yourself.

It was easier said than done.

Laying yourself bare, emotions and all, to the scrutiny of the public. Allowing them judge you—make assumptions about you—when, in truth, they hardly knew a thing.

I couldn't handle that.

I didn't have the courage.

It was easier pretending to be somebody I wasn't.

Pretending I had no flaws. Pretending side-eyes and snarky comments didn't bother me.

My whole life, I hated being the odd one out. I hated not belonging.

It wasn't until middle school that I realized I was different from the halfwits around me who abided by the status quo—who lived day to day in a boring, formulaic routine.

I realized I was special.

Any day now, I would properly awaken and regain my powers from my previous life. And, as a full-fledged witch, nobody would think to cross me. If they did, they would perish! Until then, these earth-born dwellers could laugh and snub their noses at me if they so wished.

"Mao, you're crushing me. You're li-ter-al-ly crush-ing me."

"Put your back into it, Ryota," I hissed.

He wobbled, gripping my feet and ankles for dear life. Propped up on his shoulders as I was, I peered over the tall wall of the Hoshizaki Private Academy school building.

We'd skipped class—I-I mean, due to an unforeseen attack, we had no choice but to flee the premises and take cover at this random high school.

By no means were we skipping.

We were on a mission that would save Earth as we know it.

Yep, that sounded believable.

"Do you see her?"

I positioned my binoculars above my nose, following the trails of students moving to and fro the building. So this was a so-called, "high school." There were so many students. More than our middle school.

"Just boring mortals," I replied.

I glanced downwards.

"Your master orders you to move further to the right."

Grunting, Ryota complied. As my witchly familiar of darkness, he was used to our usual exchanges. "I highly doubt we'll catch Shiina and her boyfriend together."

"Mao disagrees. According to the magazine Mao read at the convenience store, high school students are ravenous beasts. Couples especially can't bear to be apart and will indulge in. . . indecent activities when given the opportunity."

"Shiina and indecent? In the same sentence?" Ryota deadpanned.

"Mao doesn't believe Shiina will do those things either," I stated. "However. . . the Dark Lord can tempt even a soul as pure as Shiina's. Steadfast as Shiina is to her morals, she is gullible. She will easily fall prey to sin if her boyfriend wills it."

"I doubt she's that stupid." He sighed. "All right. So? What do you see now?"

"Mortals chatting. Eating. Participating in physical recreation. Wait!"

"What? Did you see—"

Hastily, I met his eyes. "Enemy! Enemy!"

"W—wai— Mao— Mao!?"