Chapter 1 - "Do You Believe In Fate?"

Tsumugi Tsukahara's POV:

Do you believe in fate?

It may sound strange, but from the moment we locked eyes, it felt as if gravity was beckoning us closer. We never had a decent conversation. I hardly knew your name. But, in my heart, none of that mattered. I liked you. I liked you so much I couldn't bear it.

"Tsumugi. What're you sobbing about now?"

I barely acknowledged Kiharu when she flopped into her desk adjacent to mine. Buckets of tears streamed down my cheeks. I hugged my light novel to my chest. "She likes him. But—but he doesn't like her back."

"Romance novels again?" Kiharu sighed, accustomed to my shenanigans. We'd been friends since middle school so that was plenty of time to adjust to oodles of my quirks. "Give me a break. What's so appealing about that genre? It's cliché and unrealistic and sets your standards waaay too high. Read somethin' else for once."

She jostled my shoulder. My head bobbed back and forth like a bobblehead as I snivelled. "But they're so cute! It isn't fair!"

"Life ain't fair. Come back to reality, bestie."

"I want to fall in love!"

"You two are loud as ever this morning." Shiina strolled up to our row, smiling. "Is Tsumugi crying over romance novels again?"

"Your advice is desperately needed," Kiharu responded. "Teach Tsumugi life ain't like fiction. At the rate she's going, even if she falls in love, she'll be crushed by the mediocrity of reality and have her heart broken."

"There's nothing wrong with having high expectations." Utilizing the handkerchief in her pocket, Shiina crouched and dabbed my tears. "I'd argue someone who can't fulfill her expectations isn't worthy of her."

"I suppose you'd know. Having eight boyfriends and all."

"K-Kiharu! I—I'm not dating any of them."

"Yet?"

Shiina flushed until all areas of visible skin were stained red.

"Look at you blush," Kiharu cooed. "Can't even deny it. Share your popularity with the rest of us."

"They—none of them see me that way," she insisted a second time. "Besides, we're talking about Tsumugi, aren't we?"

Stealing Shiina's handkerchief, I dried up the aftereffects of my waterworks while the two bantered above me. It was a scene I'd grown vastly familiar with. Our day-to-day had changed drastically from the moment we befriended Shiina. For one, now our conversations constantly circled around Shiina's thrilling love life. The girl in question denied any and all accusations, but we'd seen how all of those boys interacted with her. They didn't even try to hide their affection for her.

Kiharu and I waged bets on who she'd date. In my opinion Toru was the undisputed choice. Though, since Kiharu disliked him, she was adamant either Upperclassman Issei or Kamakiri would win her over. 

Shiina was incredibly fortunate. She encompassed the traits of an idealistic heroine so it wasn't a surprise she was popular. Even now it was second nature for her to consolingly wipe my tears. She was considerate of others; had a generous heart. We didn't meet on the best of terms but that never bothered her from opening up to us.

"Shiina!" I hurled my arms around her neck, fresh tears swelling in my eyelids. "I love you!"

Kiharu guffawed. "Your harem is expanding."

"It's not a harem," Shiina defended. "Tsumugi, you're choking me."

"With love!"

Amused by my remark, Kiharu doubled over.

"If those boys don't treat you like you deserve, take me!" I sobbed.

"Tsumugi," Shiina pleaded.

I didn't have a full grasp on the ruckus we were causing, but when Shiina finally freed herself from my prying hands and I tumbled back into my seat, the stillness of the classroom settled in. Writhing in newfound mortification, I darted my gaze around for good measure. Whether it be pure coincidence or not, I caught a single pair of eyes from across the classroom, pinned directly on me.

He didn't intend for them to be—his cherry red complexion was a dead giveaway. Straightaway, he jerked his head; trained his focus on the nearby wall. His broad back and dark brown hair remained all I could see.

By chance, did he witness all of that?

Face hot, I rubbed at my watery eyes.

We weren't being discreet so I had only myself to blame.

If I remembered correctly, his name was. . .

"Tsumugi! Did you do the homework?" Kiharu swung into me, flashing a worksheet.

"Please bless us with answers before Miss Akagi the demon troll arrives," Shiina implored all the same, hands clasped together.

Neither were academically gifted nor responsible.

I sighed, retrieving mine from my bag. "This is the last time, you guys," I said. "You can't keep asking me every morning."

Both girls whooped and high-fived, praising my kindness and genius mind. They propped the sheet in the middle of them, erased their previous answers and scribbled furiously. Paying little mind to the jabbers of my peers, I found my focus drifting onto the boy now engaging in carefree banter with his seatmate. His side profile and wholesome grin stood out to me first.

Masaki Aoyama. That was his name.