Chapter 2 - "Party Preparations I"

KAMAKIRI
(6 days before her birthday. . .)

"Daisuke. What're you up to?"

Daisuke Kamakiri shifted his attention from the recipes in front of him to his older brother poking his head into the kitchen.

"What does it look like?" he sighed, resting his hand at his chick-patterned apron. "Since you're here, give me your opinion."

Akiya's jaw dramatically plummeted.

"No way, did you ask for my opinion? You—you always shrug me aside whenever I try to talk to you. But, finally! You want to close the distance between us—"

"Yeah, right. Shut up. You're an eyesore."

Akiya flinched, mock tears in his eyes. "I know you don't mean that. What do you need, Daisuke? You can rely on your older brother for anything!"

He regretted it. Be that as it may, he was desperate.

"Then, what food is suitable for a birthday party?"

"You're. . . cooking for a social event?"

"It was against my will. If you won't answer, forget it. I'll figure it out myself."

"I'll answer! Let me answer!" Akiya stumbled up beside him. Hand to his chin, he scanned the row of recipes scribbled into the cookbooks, then at the food Kamakiri had attempted cooking. "Who's birthday is it?" he finally asked. "I have a hard time believing you'd go out of your way for a friend. Unless, of course, it's for a girlfriend. . ."

His pause is accompanied by Kamakiri averting his gaze.

"That response. . ."

"Shut up. We're not dating."

"Yet?" he prodded.

"It's not official." Technically, he hadn't even confessed. Due to that, it was dumb getting all flustered, yet here he was. "This and that are two separate issues. Knowing her, she'd happily gobble down anything I make. It's her birthday, though, so it should be something she doesn't have often. Other meatheads are attending so I'll need a lot of it too."

"Daisuke bending to somebody else's whims? You must seriously be in love."

His face blazed considerably. "If you're not going to help, say so."

"I will. I will." Beaming, Akiya swung an arm across his neck. "Are you at least aware of her likes and dislikes?"

"To some degree."

"'To some degree' isn't good enough. You have to be on top of that. If you plan to sweep her off her feet, be thorough. It'll deepen your bonds. Trust me, noticing those tiny details will make her extremely happy."

She was always catching him off guard. He preferred being alone in his room, biding the time with his books or other pastimes. Somehow, though, since she entered his life, his room had become theirs. There was never a lunch she didn't religiously bumble inside, adamant he sample her food. At some point, he started looking forward to it.

Her inquiring and preparing his favourite recipes. How she always cooked with him in mind, intent it delighted him. It was those 'tiny details', subtleties about himself he'd hid and shrugged under the rug, that she'd latch onto and praise.

She smiled the happiest during those moments too.

"Fine," he whispered, the corner of his lip quirking upward, "I guess it wouldn't hurt to spoil her every once in a while."

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

BANRI
(5 days before her birthday. . .)

"Agh! What do I do?"

Clutching his head, Banri Taniguchi paced back and forth.

"Excuse me? Is there a problem?" a passing worker inquired.

"I'm throwing a birthday party for my goddess, but all these decorations are way too plain. Do you have anything holier?"

The look the worker gave him was flatter than a wall.

"Holier, you said?"

Why did people constantly belittle his sentiments? Stare at him like he'd lost his marbles?

Sure, he couldn't deny it. When it came to his goddess, she had him too lovestruck to recognize himself. He constantly found himself fumbling for coherent words and trying to settle his galloping pulse. Shiina Kisaragi was his reason for living, so it made sense everything he did for her had to be perfect. If it wasn't, there was no way he could forgive himself.

Especially for her birthday celebration. She deserved nothing but the best. A perfect, beautiful world.

He knew, better than anyone, that her life was far from perfect. That the world was excessively cruel on her heavenly spirit. But if his actions could somehow alleviate these worldly pressures from her, even if temporarily, then he'd go to great lengths to do so.

He'd make this birthday the most extraordinary.

"For Kisa," he stated, a newfound fire swirling in his clenched fists.

"So. . ." the worker said, weirded out stare in tow, "are you buying or not?"

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

ISSEI
(4 days before her birthday. . .)

"This is a top-secret mission. Speak of it to nobody."

"Um, Upperclassman Enatsu?" Kiharu asked, clutching the card he'd passed on to her. "I get this is supposed to be hush-hush, but your get-up ain't helpin'."

Issei Enatsu lowered his shades to the bridge of his nose. His all-black suit and bow tie had him sticking out like a sore thumb in the bustling first-year hallway and drawing unwanted stares.

"What's wrong with it?"

"What isn't?"

His mouth downturned. He shielded his eyes a second time. "Say anymore and I'll take offence."

"I—"

"If you'll excuse me, I have a handful of other invitations to deliver."

At that, Issei strolled off via cool strides. He glanced at his cell. Ten minutes until the end of lunch. Enough time to distribute the last of these invites. Nevertheless, the gawking gazes of his peers ebbed at him. Once again, in pursuit of his passion, he'd gone overboard.

At this point, she was the only one who didn't give him outlandish looks whenever he did.

Numerous times he was questioned about why he went so far, was pestered to quit; to find better uses for his time. His dad was a notable hairdresser, and his mom a typical office worker, so he kept those careers as back-up options in case all of his efforts in acting came to naught. But if life had taught him anything, it was that his hobbies weren't worth sacrificing for a stable job; solid income.

His efforts could take him somewhere. Her straightforward drive and encouragement reminded him of that; of the promise he'd kept close to his heart.

It was no longer possible to see his little sister be wreathed in smiles.

Growing older without a loved one was incredibly painful. Yet she smiled so merrily every day. Her strength was unbelievable. He knew that, but it amazed him all the same.

If only he could lessen her burdens; carry her sadness on his shoulders. Would she find it meddlesome? Irksome? He likely would never comprehend the full brunt of her feelings, but that didn't stop him from wishing to. Since she carried them so closely and personally, events like these were important to remind her she didn't have to bear it alone.

"I want her to always be smiling. But if I told her that, I wonder how she'd react."