51- Defense

"Gusion!" A familiar voice rang out. Gusion turned to see Guinevere running towards him, face filled with determination. "Gusion, are you alright?"

"Gwen!" Gusion reached out an arm to her while keeping an eye on the incoming Demon army. "Stay here with me!"

"I'll fight with you!" Without hesitating, Guinevere threw herself in his arms. "I-I'm sorry... I don't know whats gotten into me these past few weeks... I thought I could save you all by pretending to side with Arthur..."

"You tried your best, Gwen. It's no use staying with a manipulator. We need to think of another way to stop him," Gusion kissed her on the forehead. "For now, we have better things to discuss about."

"Guinevere!" Lancelot shouted, and Guinevere waved at him. Lesley and Odette smiled happily at their friend coming back, and Granger gave a half-nod.

"I honestly thought you forgot me," Gusion said, chuckling. "What's up with that look you gave me earlier?"

"To be honest... I don't know. I felt odd, like nothing that happened that moment really mattered to me," Guinevere mused. "I've been feeling this way ever since I arrived at the castle, and it keeps wearing off quicker each time, but it keeps coming back for some reason-"

Then it hit her. The water she drank before the ceremony. The coffee and tea her maids brought to her room each day. She always found the taste of her drinks to be strangely sweet and oddly familiar, and now she knew why. Essence of hyacinth.

"Forgetfulness Potion," she muttered angrily, trying to hold herself from bursting in rage. "How dare he underestimate my knowledge-"

"What did you say? Did he do something to you?" Lancelot asked, not hearing over the loud noises of those pesky demons. Before Guinevere had a chance to answer, they heard a loud, metallic sound. CLANG!

"It's Alucard's chariot!" Lesley announced, looking up. "Come help us here now! Eww," she glanced at a demon bleeding, hands covered in sticky snot.

"Wait... Who's that? There's someone behind them!" Granger exclaimed.

Amidst the chaos, a 50-something old man appeared in front of them, looking dirty and disheveled. His gray hair stood up in unruly spikes, cheek stained with mud, robe slightly shabby. But there was something to him, an distinctive aura that made him look fierce with the sword in hand. The man raised his head and smiled at them.

"The king?"

Everyone gasped, shocked and confused, especially Lancelot and Guinevere, who looked as though they were going to pass out. Is Leodegrance going to help his children? Or is he another ally of Arthur's?

"How dare he..." Guinevere fumed. After momentary silence, everyone got back on their feet and continued fighting. They were so caught up in the action, they nearly forgot what they were fighting for. "He basically sold me to that monster... all he wanted was the throne. I'm surprised he wasn't one of the first to head back home. "

"Ignore him, Gwen. We need to get to Arthur fast," Lancelot was trying his hardest to stay calm. Spotting a flash of short blonde hair, he bolted, following his direction. The others quickly followed too, not wanting to be left out, leaving Alucard and his friends shaking their heads in annoyance. They didn't come here to act as decoy.

Watching his children leaving hurriedly as soon as he arrived, Leodegrance smiled sadly.

He didn't need to gain their trust. As long as Lancelot and Guinevere were safe... it didn't matter. He knew he couldn't protect them by shielding them from the dangers of the world. It came in different forms- physical danger like wars, emotional danger such as betrayal and loss, and even in magical form wherein you lack knowledge of the magic you wield and how to execute it.  They had to experience it firsthand, slowly learning how to protect themselves.

Maybe Super Magic wasn't fit for Guinevere. It happens sometimes. A wizard finds power in potions and mechanical weapons which he cannot have with a simple wave of his magic wand. Perhaps this was the case with Guinevere. Her magic was not enough.

He had entrusted Desmond with the sword. He regretted not explaining his whole plan in handing it over to Guinevere before the wedding, but Desmond simply smiled. "You can trust me. I'll do the job." He had said reassuringly. Leodegrance trusted his advisor and best friend with all his heart. Yet for some reason... he didn't feel sure. And he felt guilty for feeling that way.

Amidst the confusion, the Blood Demons didn't immediately realize that Gusion and his friends fled the scene. Recovering from confusion, they hurriedly followed the group. Before Leodegrance could intercept them, a young man in a white suit blocked his path, carrying a flashy, shiny sword. But it wasn't just any sword. It was encrusted with diamonds had a ruby-encrusted hilt.

Identical to the one in the sword room.

Or... Was it...?

No, Leodegrance thought. I've knownd Desmond for years. He wouldn't tell Arthur.

"This sword is quite pretty indeed," said Arthur, examining the quality of the weapon he held. "I've never held a sword- my whole life revolved around magical execution and manipulation.  Do you hold it like this? Or like this?" He grinned, wielding the sword carelessly as though it were a mere toy. "Doesn't look too strong to me,"

Much to Leodegrance's horror, Arthur began using a spell that caused the sword to crumble slowly. Fine shards of diamond fell to the floor as he casted the spell. Before he could do any more damage, Leodegrance striked his sword towards Arthur. The young man was surprised. He managed to escape getting stabbed just in time, but the sharp sword left a rather large cut on his shoulder, leaving his suit stained with blood.

"I didn't expect you to do that," Arthur  said mockingly. "You weren't so quick to step in Guinevere's defense and agreed to marry her off to a man she barely knew. You've fallen right into my trap," Waving his hand, he created a barrier that blocked Leodegrance's sword.

He looked down on Leodegrance's shocked face.

"And oh, by the way, the guards arrested Desmond while you were away. They knew I was going to be the king anyway, so they followed my orders. I forced the truth out of him with a special potion Merlin crafted."

"King Leodegrance, I challenge you...to a duel."