42- Stone Hearts

Fast forward to two days before the wedding. Not much time, but consider it as a pause between chapters.

After a long afternoon deciding on final changes with the tailors, Guinevere carefully chosen handwoven carpets and traditional furniture for the wedding. However, to add a bit of modern glamour, she decided the wedding take place at the grounds, for the dust and cobwebs at the nearby cathedral was sure to make everyone sneeze, and cleaning it would definitely take months. She decided to just add a bit of flowers here and there, envisioning a simple, but eye-catching, wedding.

"Are you sure, your Highness? This is going to be the wedding of the century- it looks awfully simple." The caterer looked at her sketches doubtfully.

"What's done is done." Guinevere snapped, annoyed that everyone failed to realize the brilliance of her idea. If the furniture and decorations were simple, and the guests came in wearing big gowns and crowns, wouldn't it draw more attention to the guests themselves? It would make the wedding look more picturesque.

"Oh... Of course, your Highness." The caterer said nervously. "I'll go check in with His Highness to see if he approves.

Grrr... Thought Guinevere. She knew that line well. If someone managing the event doesn't like her ideas, they'll mention about "going to Arthur" as if they thought they wouldn't offend her. Well, I know your dirty plans well.
She threw open her closet, looking for a fresh outfit-

An overwhelming scent reached her nostrils. "Wha-"

After sneezing a few times, Guinevere kneeled down to search the source of the scent. I know I kept all my perfume at the other room, she thought. Her eye fell on her travel bag. She had been such in a big hurry when she had unpacked, she forgot to check all her things if something had been left in the chariot. But there was a purple scarf in the bag, and it was reeking of perfume.

Guinevere frowned. This wasn't hers.

She only wore scarves during cold weather, especially winter- and it was a very hot season right now. Besides, she normally tended to wear shawls.

I have a lot of clothes. Maybe I just misplaced it, Guinevere thought. She threw it behind her back. Need to get an evening outfit. But there was still something weird about that scarf.

"Darn it!" Guinevere let go of a frilly dress with bows and turned back to the scars. She inhaled the scent even more deeply and gasped. Now she noticed what was odd about the scarf.

"Wait... This is men's perfume!" She gasped.

Her eyes darted from the scarf to her bag. Was it possible that she had packed a man's scarf and accidentally stolen it? What if the owner came to find it! Calm down, it's just a scarf, Guinevere tried to calm down. But her eyes still couldn't believe at what she had saw. Everything was going perfectly all right until a piece of clothing ruined her mood. Little things bothered her these days.

"Guinevere, darling?" Arthur's shoes made a loud sound against the marble floor, and Guinevere gulped. She had just remembered dinner. She was late. She shoved the scarf in the closet- for some strange reason, she didn't want Arthur to see it.

The door flung open and Arthur walked in. "Where the hell is that brat-" His eyes caught sight of Guinevere, whose eyes were watery as she continuously sprayed her closet with perfume. Arthur looked bewildered.

"How strange. I thought you didn't like pungent smells-" Guinevere reddened at his voice. "Oh, hi, Art- I mean, your Majesty."

"You're going to be my Queen in two days. You may call me informally- didn't you use my name when ranting about me? You must have gotten that habit from the maids. " Arthur grinned, then in a flash, it was gone, as if a light had gone out. "You're late."