7- Frustrations

Gusion was surprised how Guinevere gone from being a sweet and sensitive girl to being back to an annoying, whiny girl. As they walked through muddy paths farther south, Gusion dimly thought he would have done better with another girl.

This girl was an annoying tsundere.

"Gusionnnnn! There's mud on my dresss! I haven't even bathedddd!"

And then:
"Hmph! I don't need a manly, handsome prince, Gusion. I can say that. BUT- ITS NOT LIKE I LIKE YOU DUMMY!" Guinevere blabbed, blushing furiously.

Gusion grinned. "That handsome, am I?"

"Hmph! Forget what I said!" Guinevere stomped ahead, splattering mud everywhere. Gusion laughed, ending in a mass of punches and kicks.

After a few more unbearable hours, they settled at a clearing surrounded by tall trees that nearly blocked the sunlight. Flowers and vines decorated the beautiful forest, only there was no fruit anywhere. The only source of water was a nearby well. Nevertheless, they were tired, so they settled in for the night.

"Will we be okay here?" asked Guinevere nervously. She was worried about pesky animals. She was worried about thieves. She was worried about assassins, and most of all- being seen by her father.

"We've been okay yesterday. Surely we will be now," said Gusion, finding food at nearby bushes and trees. "Sometimes you've got to make some sacrifices, Baroque."

"Well, obviously," said Guinevere. She looked around. "What else can I do?"

"We don't have tents. Just find logs to sleep on." said Gusion. "Besides," he added, smirking, "why'd you bring up the 'it's not like I like you' line? Eheheheh..."

"Just shut up, Paxley! I've got work to do!" exclaimed Guinevere, red as a beet.

The logs weren't difficult to obtain. Lifting them, she went back to Gusion and saw him roasting mushrooms and berries. Gagging at the burnt smell, she sat down a log and frowned.

Gusion handed her a plate of leaves with rubbery mushrooms and mushed berries. Guinevere frowned deeper. "Suppose we don't have better food?"

"We're away from home, moving to another place everyday, and you ask for better food?" Gusion snorted. "Well, a girl like Guinevere, also needs to persevere." He dipped his mushrooms into the berries.

"Guinevere, persevere. Yeah, nice rhyme," said Guinevere, crushing her berries. "Well, if you're not going to make an effort in finding food, I'll go find them myself!"

"Like you could." Gusion snorted.
"I can, Paxley! Don't underestimate me!" Guinevere scowled, stomping the fallen berries and mushrooms.

Gusion choked at the taste of berry-dipped mushrooms. Then he said, "Guinevere, it's late. Just make do with these alright?"

"Hmph, you Lazy Paxley! No wonder they made you exile! I'll find my own food!" Guinevere stood and stormed off. Gusion sighed and shook his head.

An hour later, Guinevere returned carrying a basket full of apples, grapes, and eggs. There was even a loaf of bread.

Gusion gaped. "Where did you get all these from?"

"There's a farm over there," said Guinevere, pointing over the trees. "I picked them but I got caught. Good thing the old man was kind. He was pretty happy to give them all away." She gazes dreamily into distance. "Perks of being a royal."

She also carried a can full of corned beef. "I found this too," she said showing him the can.

The can lay in Guinevere's hand. Gusion frowned at it. "A can? But what's so strange? Surely it came from the vendor at the farm."