26- Sniped, Shot, Stabbed

Ever since their encounter in the bar, Granger had been hanging out with Lesley more often than ever. They became the best of friends, like they used to be. It was pretty good talking and sharing his thoughts with her- it almost felt like going back to his own childhood. Yet for some reason, Lesley still couldn't fully remember him even after all the times they spent just sitting down and talking. Granger's heart ached slightly. Sure, it might have been, like, 10 years ago, but why do girls always seem to forget the people who truly care about them and instead just slobber over pretty boys like dogs? (Not that Granger really thought of Lesley as a dog; he just said it to make a point.)

He sighed. How was he going to make her see all this?

"Hey, Scarhead, what you thinking about?" Lesley giggled, waving a hand in front of Granger's face. They were sitting near a trash can, sipping juice they bought from a nearby vendor (Lesley had to do the buying, since enemies were bound to attack Granger and he was a pretty noticeable sight with a scar over his eye)

Granger fixed her with a cold stare. "Stop calling me that." Not that he hated being teased- he was pretty used to it- it just reminded him of the awful childhood he had.

Lesley stopped giggling and sent him a somehow sad smile. "You're always so serious," she said softly. Then she looked away. "I guess that's why I liked hanging out with you. But a part of me hates it."

Granger looked at her. As much as he hated being so playful and carefree all the time, like that annoying Nana he saw back at the Enchanted Forest, he also didn't want to see Lesley so sad. A sniffle snapped him out of his thoughts.

He turned to see Lesley crying softly. Sensing his gaze, she frantically wiped them away, only to let more tears flow. Granger looked at her in alarm. All this crying? Because of me not being that cheerful? He watched on helplessly. He knew you had to comfort a person while they're sad or crying, but he never really knew how to. All through his life, he only knew how to harden his emotions- never to let them out.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Lesley finally spoke up after hiccuping a bit. "You're the best thing that's happened to me, y'know that? Right after... he left me." Granger supposed she was too embarassed to mention Gusion's name. "It's so comforting to be around you. Yet you're always so... cold. You're exactly like... him. During the last days we spent together."

You're also the best thing that's ever happened in my pathetic life, Granger thought. He said nothing for a few seconds. Then he put an arm around Lesley, surprising even himself. He never did this to any human being in life, and Lesley certainly knew. It annoyed him to watch people so helpless. Can't they just learn to stand up on their own? But this time was different. He simply felt a sudden urge."It's okay, just let the tears flow." Granger felt Lesley's head resting on his shoulder. He reddened. Oh damn. We'd look like a pretty pathetic-looking couple, good thing no one hangs around here- except us. "Anyways, I'm sorry," he continued. And he meant it. "I just--I just don't know how it feels to be- truly happy. I didn't think about the need to be cheerful, so I guess that's why I'm pretty serious or emotionless all the time. Just- I'm sorry."

Lesley's eyes widened. What's happened to this guy?

Granger grinned. She knows I've never said those things in my entire life. Pretty obvious. Funny how you forget about someone yet you know them better than anyone else had.

Lesley finally stopped crying and, to Granger's surprise, broke out in a smile. And it wasn't the usual slightly sad, after-crying smile. It was a big one, like she truly meant it. Then, to his surprise, she put a hand over his cheek. "You're smiling," she whispered, and leaned even closer to him she could smell his minty breath and sweet scent. Hmm, this scent is so familiar, maybe it's a sign I met him somewhere else? I think I remember a boy like him when I was younger, but I couldn't recall where. Smiling even wider now, if that were possible, she inhaled his scent even deeper.