22- A Knight's Secrets

Six hours earlier...
"Lance, darling, you haven't eaten much for a while now," Odette fretted worriedly as she and Lance had their afternoon tea in the gardens, complete with scones, finger sandwiches, and a variety of jams and spreads. But Lancelot did not touch anything of the food laid out in front of him.

" I'm not hungry. Ate a big breakfast," Lancelot said, standing up abruptly. Odette stared in surprise, as did the maid watching nearby.

"Well, for your information, you didn't really eat enough at breakfast, and you didn't touch any of the roast beef I had the cook make especially for you, the way you like it. Dear, is something wrong...?" Odette asked tentatively, sipping on her tea.

"Well, I just have a lot of things to do," Lancelot said mysteriously. He kissed Odette in the forehead and started his way back to the castle. "See you later, darling."

Odette frowned. Well, that was odd. Lance may have his head in the clouds at times, but he never skipped meals. Especially NOT his favorite roast beef. Well, something up. I may just have to confront him later, the way I always did when he was acting strangely. Odette sighed. After a few moment's hesitation, she went back on her tea.

Lancelot paced around in the corner of the library. Why did he ever think of inviting his sister in someone else's castle? Sure, Odette knew of his sister (Everyone who read the news did). But the problem was, did Guinevere know of Odette? She didn't even know he had a... um, girlfriend. But how was he going to announce it to Odette? She was born with all the right connections, and as much as he loved her, a part of him didn't want to admit it, but Lancelot didn't think he could trust her with a secret this big. If word got around that Guinevere was in Swan Castle, the news would spread faster than an out of control carriage, and the hoods will be bound to attack them soon, not only Guinevere, but possibly Odette and the other villagers too.

Lancelot plopped down on a couch. Well, it might not be too late to send a message to Guinevere. She hadn't arrived in the castle yet, so surely she must still be faraway, isn't she? But the Enchanted Forest was only hours away from Swan Lake. She might have arrived in the village already. Well, but how was he going to send the letter? He had no one he could trust in the village, not even the mailman. He knew that those people could be nosy and he might as well have announced the news to the kingdom. And besides, wouldn't it be such a waste, when Guinevere had travelled for miles and miles just to be turned away at the foot of the castle?

Lancelot sighed. He was suddenly craving his favorite roast beef more than ever. Why did he always act first and think later?

He paced around the castle. Fortunately, he didn't run into Odette (she usually does her reading in her private quarters or feeds her precious swans at Swan Lake this time of day). And the maids and butlers didn't give him a second glance (Odette had the maids polish the floor extra-shiny today) so he wandered freely without being peppered with questions, questions, and more questions.

Several hours passed. It was nighttime. Lancelot lay in the guest room Odette specially arranged for him, toying his sword. Maybe, just maybe, did Guinevere forget to stop by Swan Castle? His sister was a very intelligent girl- she always knew where her brother was with the aid of her magic. But according to one of the gossip magazines (not that he truly believed in gossip) Guinevere had been struggling with her magic lately. Some young lad named Gusion helped her escape the hoods.

Lancelot glanced at the alarm clock at the table. It was very late now. Odette was surely asleep. Guinevere wouldn't think of going in at this hour. Lancelot sighed. What had he been thinking, making a mess between his sister and the love of his life?