37- The Uninvited Guest

"Feels like old times," Lylia mused, reminiscing her time as a student here.

"Definitely. I remember taking the Wizardry Exam for the first time and I was like, so nervous," Odette agreed.

"Well, are all heroes coming here?" Gusion butted in.

"No! Duh, some are busy. Some are at the battlefield. And yknow, some heroes are evil. They are villains who got into the battlefield for their talent at evil spells," Lylia whispered.

Gusion already knew Harith and Nana and Miya and Estes from the Enchanted Forest, but there were plenty others he didn't know yet. It was a warm atmosphere in the meeting room. Gusion had been introduced all around, though many knew him because of the news. Everyone had just started sitting down when Gord called for attention.

"Hm. I wonder why we were all called here?" Kagura whispered to Wanwan, who was seated on her left side.

"I have no idea. To me, fun is all that matters!" Wanwan giggled, although she too was rather curious.

"This is such a colossal waste of time," Zilong complained, but in a rather low voice. "And my foot hurts."

"Alright, there's no time to chitchat!" Gord barked, who had positioned himself at the head of the long table, with Eudora and Aurora on either side of him. At the sound of his commanding voice, the others fell silent.

"But how about Fanny? She usually gets here earlier than Layla does," Chang'e asked meekly, stroking her rabbit Jade's fur.

"There's no reason to worry," Esmeralda consoled her. "Maybe she's just delayed."

"Well, she's no excuse to delay our meeting! We might as well hurry," Gord said. A moment later, there was a knock on the door. Gord answered it, and a young mailman appeared with dozens and dozens of letters. He looked confused at the number of files in front of him, but he simply thanked the mailman and read some of the letters. His frown grew deeper the more letters he read.

Eudora sidled up to him. "Something wrong?"

"Well, uh," Gord glanced uneasily at the heroes gathered at the long table, who were still chatting among themselves and oblivious to what was happening at the head of the long table. He decided whether he should share the letters with them or not. "Maybe I should read them first. On my own."

"But, it's addressed to their kingdoms-"

"They're not the rulers, they're not in charge of their kingdom."

"Well, some are royalty, like Odette. But before you mail this out to them, can I help?"

"I don't think you could possibly understand."

Eudora sighed in frustration. "How many times should I say to you. You can trust me. I am your colleague. And I had experience with this sort of thing. I can help."

After a few moments, Gord gave in. "Alright, alright, but keep it a secret before we decide to let the news out."

"I will," Eudora nodded. Making sure no one was watching them, they proceeded to the faculty room, which was empty. As soon as they were sure they weren't heard, she began to read the letters.

"Gord," Eudora looked up after reading. "There's no need to alert the the government."

"What? Why?" Gord stared at her in surprise.

"I think these letters came from them," Eudora surveyed the letters. "Yep. And they're asking for help."

Gord had already rang the bell near his desk, which was across from Eudora's. "Send for the mailman. He needs to deliver a few more letters."