[23] : You're a meanie!

"Stare into the depths of my eyes...
And confront your soul's darkest desires..."

* ** ** ** **

Ivy's POV

"Did we have to meet here?"

He rolled his eyes, getting himself off the motorbike he was sitting on. I shut the door to my car and shoved it's keys into the pockets of my jacket, just as he did the same. Our eyes turned to the greenery of the park, studying all the people that walked around with children in their arms.

A young boy flew past us, carrying cotton candy in one hand and a chocolate bar in the other. His lips were stretched up wildly as he ran. Moments later, almost seven more kids followed, laughing as they chased after him. They were kind enough to give us adorable sugar coated smiles as they ran, waving.

"This is repugnant." I stated.

"I'm going to puke." Claude added.

We stood there a little longer, watching and trying to get ourselves merely used to the homey welcome that the place invited, before we finally decided to move forward, mixing ourselves into the public.

"Start talking."

Claude sighed. "Don't I at least get a thank you for nearly bringing your classmate to the edges of death?"

"Thank you for mercilessly torturing my classmate enough to bring his father an emotional breakdown."

"Your welcome, princess."

We paused as another lot of kids ran past us, the balloons in their hands danced around our faces for over five seconds, grating on the little patience we had. I frowned as I regretted taking Claude's advice to ditch school today. I'd rather be there than here right now.

"Care to now tell me why you brought me here as fast as you can?"

"Of course." Suddenly there's a toothpick in his mouth, he picks at his perfectly shaped teeth, a pointless act. "I'm sure you've noticed that there are nearly three weeks to Halloween."

My feet pause, I look around and finally notice a few paper bat hangings that were being hung on the water fountain right in the middle of the park. There were even a couple of carved pumpkins around its base and fake snakes that been put into it water.

Huh.

I clear my throat. "Of course I have."

"Good. In that case, you must know that the Halloween gala will be coming up as well."

"The what?"

He pats my head but immediately withdraws when I give a venomous glare. "Nothing you should worry about, princess. It's for people like me who have to show up and represent their people."

By now, people were starting to notice me. Well, most parents had, they would stand up and squint at me as though they had to make sure who it was, before scowling and immediately starting to search for their kids. Others were quick witted. One glance and they knew it was me, making sure you keep that watchful cautious eye on me. It was obvious they didn't really recognize Claude, but they seemed to put him in the same category as I was. He didn't mind the stares, instead focusing on the toothpick he was trying put between his teeth.

"Every year we always have the same usual three masquerade gatherings, remember? The Valentine's Gala. The Halloween Gala. And The Christmas Gala." He frowns down at me. "You didn't forget, did you?"

"Considering I've never attended any of those and I still do not care?" I shrug. "No. I definitely did not forget."

He turns back to watching the people in front of us, guiding me through the area. "Well then. I just need to inform you that we will be having two very big threats attending the Masquerade this year."