[51] : The Halloween Masquerade Gala.

"A toast...
To the reign of Hell..."

~ 6:30 pm ~

Ivy's POV

There was a bark of thunder in the sky that followed a demeaning clap of lightning. Winds howled and trees fell to their commands. I slowly unclasped my fingers and leaned closer to the cars window. Frosty breath coated the glass as i stared out at the fast moving forest. Two dark gray eyes stared at me, I tried to squint my eyes at the unclear reflection of the concoction of make up that dabbed my faced, but it was hard to notice anything.

6:30pm.

It was time for the Gala and Claude had done his best to make me look like some sort of...

I sigh, delving into my purse and pulling out a phone. My fingers hovered over Kent's contact name for a good while as I reminisced our earlier conversation at the cabin. A jittery shiver crawled up my spine and dragged back down in mockery. How could I drop being Ivy Bathory? The idea clattered its venomous teeth at me, slithering around my mind like a stalking predator and waiting for me to make a move before it pounced. I wasn't ready for that. And I knew it.

My demons knew it.

We knew it.

I shut my eye lids and draw in a deep breath, shoving all that to the back of my mind. Now, there were more things to worry about.

The Gala. Mary. Laura.

I was not only meeting my mother, but her new family too. The one she ran away to so she could pursue another happy ending for herself. I had to prepare myself both physically and mentally for what was coming.

There was something in my head. Something nonchalantly primal that coiled around my entire being, making me feel heavier as it rested in its place, anticipating the oncoming prance for any threat. This wasn't going to be easy. And I sure hoped I could get out with my sanity still intact.

Something brushed my thigh, and I gradually pulled myself out of the dark hole I was sinking into. My eyes fell on Claude who sat across from me, staring at the phone as well. His outfit wailed black. A completely black suit with no other color exception but the gold swirlings that drew their tendrils around his neck tie and cufflinks. His long inky hair was jelled back and left a remarking boyish look to his face. His eyes held a striking hue of blue that shone in the night. He tried a smile, his fingers caressed my knee.

"We're here."

I felt my skin prickle and my breath hitch up quietly. Gradually, I veered to see my nearing peril.

The Valencia Mansion stood with all it's exquisite royalty and extravagance. For a moment, it left me dumbstruck and unable to lift my tongue. It had some sort of modern castle vibe going on about it that made the dominating part of me feel satisfied with the service. It made me feel powerful. The building's presence held an uncanny aura that moulded your mind to make you think you were untouchable. I don't know how. But it did.

The house was huge, enormous, shining with its bright lights and illuminating the stark night. Around it the most expensive cars had been parked, sleek black. Most of them, I realized, where the latest Rolls Royce. All tinted black windows with their chauffeurs standing incredibly stiff beside them and watching with eyes that said they were more than what they appeared.

Everything screamed money. Riches. Wait, not riches.

Wealth. An extremely powerful form of rich.

We weren't the first to arrive, nor were we the last. The place was buzzing with life. Dead life. Dangerous life. Our car was guided to an empty parking slot, unlike those that had to stop at the front of the mansion to drop off their occupants onto the red carpet. We swerved around the fountain and slowed to a halt beside another car, who's door instantly opened at our arrival.