꩜ Chapter 2 ꩜

Stepping into the Slytherin common room was like stepping into a lair. The walls were made of solid stone and the only light was cast by small lamps along the walls which looked to be magic rather than electric. A painting of Salazar Slytherin rested on the mantle of the fireplace, looking just a little bit too much like a shrine. His eyes gazed over the few students who surrounded a scroll of parchment sticky-charmed to the opposite wall.

"Merlin, if I get stuck with Tracy Davis again, I'll throw myself off of Gryffindor tower, just to make a point," Pansy muttered. 

I let my eyes wander around the room to better analyse it as we walked over to the scroll. The architecture was something I'm sure my Father would have appreciated. It was warm in here too, the fireplaces keeping it perfectly heated.

I almost sighed in relief when I found my name, paired with Pansy's for room 22.  Daphne made a couple of complaints when she saw hers was Millicent Bullstrode but made her way up the stairs. Pansy seemed excited as she lead me up to the girls dorms. Her enthusiasm was contagious. She opened the door to show me a quite large room that had two beds and two wardrobes. In the corner on my left was a door that lead to the bathroom.

The room was very strictly themed with emerald green bedding and curtains. Taking a quick look around and checking the bathroom, I saw it had a shower, sink and toilet with dark tiles on the floor and up the walls. The whole aesthetic of the place was quite nice and I felt comfortable already, even if it was a little lair-y

"So... what do you think?" Pansy asked.

"Its actually quite nice, better than I thought it would be," I replied.

Pansy flashed me a grin before moving over to the bed opposite the doorway where her trunk and bags were. I saw my own belongings were next to the bed right of the door and assumed the school elves must have sent them here. "You want first shower?" Pansy asked, gathering some clothes. 

I shook my head. "I'm alright, I'll have one in the morning."

She nodded and took her clothes with her into the bathroom, locking the door behind her.

I took my own pyjamas out of my trunk and quickly changed into them. Tucking myself under the sheets, I thought a little about how the night had gone. It seemed nice here, even with my Fathers opinion floating around in my head. I rolled over, closed my eyes, and tried to get a good night of sleep to help with the nightmare tomorrow would most likely be.

...

I felt groggy when I woke up. The memories from the night prior flooded my brain and I looked over to see Pansy still tucked under the covers of her four poster bed. The clock on the wall told me it was just after 7. Checking the timetable I found on the bedside table next go me, I saw my first class was at 8.30. That gave me some time to make myself look presentable and have a quick breakfast.

I considered waking Pansy up but figured she might not be a morning person and I would wake her up just before I left if she wasn't awake. The cold floor jolted me out of my groggy state and made me shiver slightly. I made my way to the bathroom and got in the shower, hoping the hot water would wash away my anxiety.

It did just that, and after a long time beneath the stream of scalding water, I left the bathroom in my towel. 

I almost jumped when I walked into the dorm, not used to having anyone else around. Pansy was leaning over the desk in the corner, perfecting her eyeliner in the mirror she had conjured there.

"Good morning, how'd you sleep?" Pansy asked.

"Pretty good, you?" I replied as I opened my trunk. I would have to shift my stuff into my wardrobe when I found time.