Chapter 31 ~ Red

Once Pansy was out of the shower, we went downstairs, meeting Narcissa in the kitchen for some wine. Mrs Malfoy was that cool mum who was good with almost everything as long as you didn't bother her when she didn't want to deal with you.

The three of us sat on the bar stools sipping our red wine while discussing how school was.

Pansy and I both snorted into our drinks in a very unladylike manor when all three boys came in looking sorry for themselves and carrying dirty cloths.

"We're done mum," Draco said with a dragged out voice. Narcissa gave him a bright smile and tilted her head.

"Well done, now go get cleaned up so I can serve dinner." Without another word, the three headed up the stairs to their rooms to get clean. Narcissa certainly knew how to run things around here.

"Neither of you two had any allergies did you?" She asked Pansy and I.

We both shook our heads and took another sip of our drinks. 

The boys came back down shortly after and Narcissa dished us a lovely meal of pasta with roasted vegetables. The whole thing was delicious, possibly one of the best things I've ever had.

"This is amazing Narcissa, thank you so much," I said gratefully. Her face lit up and her bright red lips curved upwards in a loving smile.

"Thats quite alright dear, I'm glad you liked it." With a fleeting glance at Draco who looked rather timid, she started clearing things. 

I stood up at the same time as Blaise to help her and we both started collecting dishes and bringing them over to the sink. Silently, we helped Narcissa clean up while Pansy and Theo joked and Draco sat broodingly. 

I wasn't quite sure what was wrong with him at this time. Something was weighing down on him but he refused to tell me or even give me one of our shared looks. Some part of it made him seem guilty.

After cleaning up, and a few more glasses of whiskey, I was set for bed. I wished everyone a goodnight and set off up the stairs. I knew Pansy wouldn't be up for a little while, she was too busy flirting with Theo. 

Footsteps echoing behind me quietly alerted me that I wasn't alone, but I continued walking, waiting to see what happened.

As I turned into the doorway of my room, I spun around and held my wand up in front of myself, pointing at the hallowed blonde who had followed me upstairs.

"What the fuck Draco," I seethed. He had given me a fright.

The corners of his lips curled a little in amusement and he tipped my wand away from him with his index finger. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

I let out a puff of air and opened my door, leaving it for him to come in behind me.

"So. Whats up with you?" I asked while sitting down on my bed.

"Straight to the point I see. Thought you'd at least make some small talk first," he hummed with a smirk. 

I frowned. "You've been off. Whats wrong Malfoy and don't even think about lying to me."

Hi smirk dropped and he came over to sit on the bed next to me. His shoulders were tense and his breathing was laboured. He reeked of anxiety.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. About the party." His eyes stared holes into the ground in front of his feet.

"It wasn't your fault, it was just a random attack." Draco had a bad habit of pulling the weight of the world onto his shoulders. The boy without a choice isn't a title you earn without burden.