Chapter 52 ~ A New Era

"Mattheo?"

The bang of our door slamming against the wall was loud enough to make Pansy and I flinch. Even without full view of his face, covered by the black mask that glinted against Pansy's wandlight, I knew it was him.

His hair was longer than the last time I saw him, messy with lose curls falling over the top of the death eater mask. His wand was firmly gripped in his right hand, swivelling to point at each corner of the room before falling to the ground as he saw me.

"Raven?"

His voice was steady but held the hint of fear, like he thought he might have found me in less than one piece.

Now, I've never been the type to freeze, lose control of my limbs and sit while the world moved around me, but when his eyes- the dark that I so hopelessly missed- met mine, I could do nothing but gape.

"Is she here?" Another voice sounded from behind my love, this one tinged with uncertainty.

Mattheo stepped forward slowly, the black wizards robes he wore brushing the ground. "Princess...?"

I choked on air and stood, leaping towards him.

His body was a warm mass in my arms and I held him as if he would fall apart if I let go. While he wouldn't, I feared that I might. His arms circled me just as quickly and I breathed in lemon, mint and the faint scent of copper.

He buried his head against my neck, pulling me impossibly closer to him. The cold of his mask through my clothes made me shiver but I didn't care.

I pulled back slightly, lifting my hand to pull at the mask, hoping the face below it would be just as warm, just as loving as it had been so many months ago.

He lifted his own hand, pulling it roughly off his head and tossing it to the ground.

I grinned, feeling warm tears spill down my cheeks as I took in his matching smile, his eyes framed by dark eyelashes and the scar that ran down the side of his face. 

I sobbed slightly before kissing him.

He huffed a breath against my lips, one that tasted of relief, love and prayer.

"You're okay, you're okay," I mumbled, still peppering kisses to his mouth.

He twisted one hand in my hair, pressing his forehead to mine.

"Merlin I missed you."

I laughed and sniffed, placing both my hands on his face. "You ever leave me like that again Riddle, I'll hunt you down and hex you sideways, you understand?"

He just grinned and kissed me again.

A stuttered breath caught my attention and I looked over Mattheo's shoulder to see brilliant platinum hair.

"Draco," I breathed.

Something shuffled behind me and out of the corner of my eye I saw Pansy stand up. Guilt seeped in as I remembered she was here too.

"I'm gonna wring your skinny little neck Malfoy," she hissed.

I jumped forward, wrapping my arms around her waist as she set towards him. There was no doubt in my mind that she wouldn't follow through on that promise.

The blonde was dressed in matching robes as Mattheo, but his mask was lined with silver.

"You think you can just up and leave like that? No letter, no explanation? Raven had to tell us what happened. You hid your fucking secrets from us for months and then show up and just expect us to hug and makeup? You've got some fucking gall." I bit my lip, fighting against Pansy's surprising strength.