Chapter 30 ~ Christmas

We buried Mossy out by the old willow tree around the back of the house. 

My father was often quick, he liked to bury things that caused him discomfort. Literally and figuratively. 

It was only the day after but the events of the ball felt too far away. Every time I closed my eyes I saw the fall body and the flashes of green from the masked figure.

Everything about that night was like a dream. Well more like a nightmare.

My father was convinced I needed to carry on through my grief, not waste my holidays. I thoroughly disagreed but that man was not to be argued with when he wasn't in the mood.

I left later than I was supposed to, with packed bags and an aura of grieving. Tomorrow was Christmas and yet there was no holiday spirit or laughter in the household like there normally was.

Seeing Lily afterwards was what broke me the most. I came out of my room after many hours of crying to see her sitting on the couch in the drawing room, holding Mossy's Christmas sweater. Small droplets of tears ran down her face, though she wiped them away when she saw me. 

I gave her my apologies again and again but she convinced me it was okay. Her and Mossy had the kind of love one could only hope for. She had lost her other half.

I wasn't sure where she was now. She wasn't there to say goodbye to me, not that I blamed her.

My father stood solemn at the door, reminding me of not so long ago when he decided to send me away. There was no more being angry about that.

I picked up my bags from my feet, trying to be excited about spending the week with my friends. My father had pushed the attack off as not a big deal in order to stop panic. Many people didn't even know what had happened.

A letter had been slipped under my door after the person had knocked. It had been Pansy, telling me she hoped I was okay and that I could owl her whenever I needed.

I had owled Draco and let him know I was still coming, even though I was starting to have second thoughts.

My father gave me an encouraging smile before handing me the floo powder.

"Are you sure you'll be alright by yourself?" I asked him worriedly.

He gave me another smile. "I will be fine, I promise."

I nodded and stepped into the fireplace with a handful of the fine green powder. I looked around the lobby one last time before taking a deep breath. "Malfoy manor."

The powder exploded into flames at my feet, giving me the whooshing feeling common with floo travel.

I stepped out of the new fireplace and looked around.

I was in some kind of lounge, surrounded by dark chestnut wooded furniture and dark tiles along the floors.

The sound of clicking heels brought my attention to the assertive woman who had just walked through the door that seemed to lead to a hallway.

"Hello dear, you must be Raven. I'm Narcissa, its lovely to meet you." She gave me a dazzling smile that warmed my insides. She radiated motherly energy and I found myself craving it.

"Its nice to properly meet you too Mrs Malfoy." 

She stepped to the side and gestured her hand. "The others are in the dinning room, just through here."

I followed the woman of the house down a dark hallway, though the space contained many windows. Unlike my own house, the sun didn't seem to reach the interior and it felt cold.