Chapter 32 ~ Shadows

TW: Abuse, torture 

Mattheo's POV ~

 She looked absolutely beautiful. 

My eyes were glued to her as she danced with Malfoy. Her hair was pinned back and the dress she wore illuminated every curve. She moved so gracefully, like an angel.

I couldn't tear my eyes away. 

When she went to sit back down, laughing and drinking, her eyes somehow found mine. 

I was almost undetectable in this dark entryway and yet her brow furrowed with confusion at the unknown person she saw. 

I ducked back into the shadows, thankful when Draco snapped her out of the trance she seemed to be in.

I had spent my week preparing for this, to see her awake and about. My target stood near the food table, chatting with a dark haired woman who he seemed friendly with. 

Dread sat permanently in the bottom of my stomach, as it had since I arrived here. She looked so happy, I couldn't take that away from her.

But an order is an order. My father would dig in my brain, find out what I feared most and bring it to life, slice new marks into my back and let me bleed for hours.

What made it worse was that what I feared most now, was her. Losing her, hurting her.

The nightmares didn't stop unless I went and saw her. They were now a constant.

And so I watched from my dark corner, as she danced and laughed until her stomach hurt. Her smile burned me so badly. It was a feeling I would do anything to have forever.

When the time came and the crowds had thinned and the liquor was almost all gone, I moved from the shadows. She had seen me again, she had started moving closer to me. It was good, it meant she was out of the way.

I moved quickly, getting close enough that my target would be an easy hit. The killing curse left my lips and I felt the sharp stab common with the use of dark magic flow through my veins. 

She had let out a cry that almost shattered my heart but I faltered as the house elf jumped and caught the stream of green light to the chest.

Confused for a second, I stopped. I was tempted to aim and fire again but the men from the circle my target had been in started shooting binding and stunning spells at me.

I ran, flicking my wand so the doors closed behind me. Once I was out of the wards, I apparated home. 

Usually, when I failed a mission, my whole body would be shaking in anticipation of what my father would do, what I would have to endure.

This time, my body filled with relief. I stood confidently, ready to take anything he tortured me with, because I knew Raven would be okay.

She still had her dad, she still had her friends. The dread in my stomach had turned to a near joy at not being responsible for her suffering. 

"Well?" 

I turned to see Bella standing in the doorway to the dinning room, no doubt where my father would sit.

"I failed my mission. Holt still lives. He was saved by a house elf."

Bellas eyes widened with each word. She knew what would come now.

"YOU FAILED?" My fathers croaky voice screamed.

I pushed past Bella who was now also looking shaky. "You should get out of here Aunt Bella. You know what he'll do."