Chapter 21 ~ Mine

Mature content
Tw: knife use

There was an odd sense of pride and warmth in my stomach as I made my way through the days classes.

Each time I let my mind wander to yesterday's events and my control over Mattheo, a light blush covered my cheeks in smugness.

Draco seemed to notice my glow while we were in the room of requirements that afternoon.

"What's got you so chipper?" He asked.

I smiled at him and shrugged, turning back to my advanced spells textbook. I was searching for spells that helped transport things in a safe manor.

I had figured out early in our research that we needed something similar to a portkey spell, only slightly modified.

The blonde didn't bother asking further and went back to staring at the cabinet.

In the distance I heard the door open and bang shut. I gave Draco an alarmed look but he seemed rather relaxed.

"Go hide behind that pile," he whispered.

As I ducked around the corner, I held my breath and looked behind me, seeing dark colorless robes and greasy hair walking towards Draco.

"Mr Malfoy. How is your... project coming along," the monotone voice asked him.

I placed my hand over my mouth and tried not to make a sound when I realized the voice belonged to Snape.

"It is going well professor, I've come to realise I need a modified portkey spell."

Dickhead, that was my discovery.

"Well, we wouldn't want to keep the dark lord waiting would we? You are best to figure this out soon or I have to pay the price," Snape spat the words at him.

"I do not need your protection, nor your pity. Tell the dark lord the project is coming along fine," Draco replied rudely. I could hear Snape sniff and shuffle around.

"You can tell him yourself at the meeting this weekend. You are expected to attend Malfoy."

I heard Draco sit down on the chair and groan slightly. I knew from what he told me that the meetings were never enjoyable.

I peaked my head around the corner and saw Snape standing in front of Draco. His head whipped in my direction, along with his robes which seemed to move with him. I ducked my head back and prayed he hadn't seen me.

"You would also do well, to not keep company where it does not belong. Miss Holt should not be having to do your work for you Draco," Snape said slightly louder, just so I could hear him.

Malfoy didn't reply and I didn't come out until I heard the swish of robes and the door closing again.

Draco let out a deep breath he had been holding and looked at me. "Hes right you know, you shouldn't be here. You don't have to do this Rave," the boy said softly.

"Yes I do, I'm not going to leave you to do this by yourself. Plus, where would you be without me?" I joked lightly.

"Probably in a ditch somewhere." His voice lacked the joking tone that should have gone with those words and I knew he meant what he said.

We worked away the afternoon and into the night. I felt bad for leaving Pansy everyday without an explanation but I knew I couldn't tell her.

Draco had warned me about people who got involved in death eater business when they shouldn't.

As I crept through the dark common room with Malfoy, someone sitting on the couch next to the fire cleared their throat.

We both froze, not knowing what to expect.