Chapter 39 ~ Welcome to the new year

Currently, I sat across from Pansy, painting my nails a light shade of pink.

It wasn't to match my outfit or anything, I was just dreadfully bored.

My mind had shut off from the stress of death eaters and stupid manipulative boys, and now it sat only on one soul idea. Getting wasted.

I had never been one to reply on substance in times of distress but this seemed like a reasonable time to lean back a little on the influences of alcohol.

Pansy was sitting on the other end of my bed, waving her wand around as she changed the colour of the same dress again and again.

"Like I said Pans, the blue looks nice," I repeated for the third time.

She huffed out a breath and changed it back to blue before standing up from the bed and holding it against herself.

"You really think so? I've gotta work my mojo to fuck with Theo tonight."

I smiled. "He'll go crazy for the blue, trust me. Plus you'll fit in perfectly with the Ravenclaws."

She let out a little squeal and nodded. "Okay."

Rushing over to her trunk next to her bed, she pulled out a piece of fabric and threw it at me.

"You're wearing that tonight," she said confidently. I held up the short, body tight black dress. The straps were wide and it had a square neck.

At first I furrowed my eyebrows at it but my expression slowly turned into a smile as I thought about how good it would look on me.

"You're a fashion genius Miss Parkinson, if I do say so myself," I giggled, admiring the dress.

It would hug my body perfectly and show off just the right amount of cleavage.

We threw our dresses on my bed and left the dorms, skipping through the common room filled with third and fourth years taking advantage of the space without the fifth years and up there to take the lounge chairs.

The great hall is filled with those fifth years and up, filling their stomachs a few hours before heavily drinking  to minimize the amount of vomit there would be tonight. Every  good drinker knew the empty stomach rule.

The boys were at another evening quidditch practise with Flint being ridiculously persistent about training to beat Ravenclaw.

They would be back just in time for the party to start.

I grabbed a couple bread rolls, dropping them onto my plate and then pouring a goblet full of water. Preparation for a good night was essential.

Pansy did the same, getting some roasted vegetables too.

"Are you planning on drinking much?" I asked after swallowing my mouthful.

Pansy nodded. "Not too much though, gotta stay sober enough to control myself around Theo."

Pansy had been scheming all day. Theo already knew what he was missing, the way he stared at her across the common room made that obvious. Now she just needed to make him crumble.

Pansy held herself at a level of self worth no girl I've ever met does. Her confidence and grace always left me speechless. She knew her place in the world.

Self esteem issues are common and while I held the idea that there is beauty in almost everyone, we live in a sad society where that's not enough. Pansy held society by the throat, crushing it with her boot. She was everything others were not.

After stuffing myself with food to combat the drinks we would have, we left to get ready.

Candle light shone through the corridor, casting shadows and flickering. Footsteps echoed and the giggling of students was everywhere.