Chapter One: You're In My Seat

"Is your name Raine?"

Raine looked up from her lunch at the woman standing before her. She was petite, with long black hair, and a sophisticated allure about her. She reminded Raine of all the poised, beautiful women she'd seen in dramas and automatically felt self-conscious about her frumpy appearance that day. She cleared her throat and wiped her mouth before standing up.

Raine didn't have many friends and didn't speak to many people besides those that tried to mooch a couple of notes off her, so she had no idea how this woman even knew her name.

"Yes? Can I help you?" The loud crack that followed caused the entire cafeteria to turn in their direction. The impact and burn on her cheek from the woman's slap left Raine stunned. Loud gasps and boisterous hoots filled the room, making the situation all the more humiliating. Anger rose in her and if it wasn't because she was riding on a scholarship, she would've beaten this lady into the next week.

"What the fuck is your problem?!"

"Don't seem so surprised now." The woman spat. "What did you think rolling around with a married man would get you?" The woman made sure she said it loud enough for everyone around Raine's table to hear. "What did you think? That he was going to leave me for you?"

"W-what?"

Raine looked around at people staring and starting to whisper amongst each other. "Oh, my god." Her aggressor laughed bitterly. "That's exactly what you thought. You thought that your Statistics professor would leave his wife for an easy little bitch like you?"

The whispering grew in ferocity and Raine knew that this was the beginning of the end for her. She felt sick to her stomach at what she was hearing.

He was married?

How didn't she realize it?

He couldn't be.

He loved her.

💜

Raine and her father pulled up to the front of the large building her new dorm room would be in. She had been lucky enough to find a room this late in the semester. By the grace of God, the girl she'd be rooming with had just had her old roommate move out, leaving the bed available.

The decision to start over at another university in the middle of her junior year wasn't necessarily the ideal solution, but it was the only one she had. The mess Raine had stupidly gotten herself into could not easily be ignored. Not to mention her reputation had been destroyed. She went from the quiet girl that aced all her assignments to a home-wrecking whore in a blink of an eye. All of a sudden, all the hard work she had put in for two and a half years meant nothing because as everyone so kindly put it; there was no way she wasn't sleeping around with other teachers for those A's as well.

I knew she couldn't be that smart.

She was definitely spreading her legs for those grades.

Now we know why she always stayed late with Professor Hwang.

I saw his wife slap her in front of everyone.

And his wife sure had.

She wasn't proud of her mistake, but it had been made. The only thing she could do was move on and out of sight. When shit hit the fan, she was the only one held accountable for their actions. Not a single soul came to her defense when the news that she had been having a relationship with a married professor spread through campus. No one mentioned how fucked up it was that he had hidden his marriage from Raine for the entire year they'd been together. Then again, no one cared much to hear her side of the story. She was branded with a Scarlet A and her fate had already been determined.