Chapter Twenty Four: Honesty Pact

"Who?" Raine felt her legs tremble as she pretended to be clueless to his question. 

Jungkook let out a humorless chortle. "You're still fucking lying. Even after getting caught, you're still lying?" He got up and looked straight at her. Tonight needed an answer to every lie she ever told because the person he knew might not even exist. That could've been a persona Raine created to hide who she really was. "Raine, why did you transfer here?" She looked down at her feet, focusing on the blue nail polish on her toes. "Raine!" She jumped at the volume of his voice.

When she finally looked up at him, there were tears in her eyes. Those tears weakened his resolve and made him want to cross the floor to wipe them away and hold her but he resisted. "Be-because I had an affair with a married professor." 

Jungkook felt the metaphorical rug be pulled from under him. He couldn't fathom what he was hearing. Not his Raine. She wasn't like that. 

"And I didn't want you to find out because I knew you would look at me like you are now." She sniffled as more tears fell. "Like I disgust you."

He didn't know what to say or how to process this newfound information, so he did the only thing he could. 

Jungkook walked away. 

"Just let me explain?" Raine tried to grab his hand as he walked by, but he pulled it back. 

"Raine just," Jungkook took a deep breath and backed away from her. "Just give me a minute."

She watched him go into his room and shut her out. She'd been waiting in his bed just minutes before, but that was over now. She wouldn't be sleeping in there anymore. He probably wouldn't even speak to her again. 

Raine slowly walked over to the couch and sat down. She wiped her eyes again and again, but the tears wouldn't stop. She wanted to hate Daehyun. He ruined everything for her. He was like an aggressive cancer in her life that came to spread through every part of it and debilitate any fight she had in her. 

Raine dropped her head into her hands as a whimper escaped her. The thought that she had let Jungkook down and lost the comfort he provided caused pain to shoot through her chest. 

Jungkook was one of the few good things she had right now. He was the only thing that made her feel less alone, and now Daehyun had ruined everything.

Jungkook sat on his bed and tried to make sense of what she had said. What she was telling him was that she had wedged herself into someone's marriage. There was no integrity in that, and that wasn't the Raine he knew.

How could she do something like that? 

As much as he wanted to, he still couldn't judge her for this because he wasn't perfect either. He had hurt people he loved and been at his worst, but she stuck around to help him. The least she deserved was for him to hear her out right? It's what he owed her.

The truth was that they weren't in a relationship, even if it felt that way. What Raine did before she got to him was none of his business, but it was important for him to know what happened. If they were going to be doing whatever this was, he deserved the same vulnerability he'd shown her.

He pushed off the bed and opened his bedroom door, taking a deep breath and preparing himself for the absolute worst. The image he had of Raine might be a completely different one once this conversation was over. 

Her soft cries grew louder as he approached the living room, and it broke him to hear her that way. 

Raine wasn't sure how long she'd been sitting there crying when she felt the couch cushion beside her dip and his arms around her. Raine quickly wrapped her own around his neck. "I'm sorry," she cried into it as Jungkook rubbed soothing circles on her back. "I didn't want you to know."