Chapter Fifteen: Unpredictability

Raine wanted to forget that she'd seen him. She would like to pretend that he was a figment of her imagination, only conjured up because he had been trying to contact her.

Unfortunately, she wasn't that imaginative. Daehyun was real, there, and in the flesh. She had no idea how he had found her. No one knew what school she had transferred to. Only the previous university, but he wouldn't have been so brave to ask them about that. How would he explain that he wanted to know where the student he claimed accosted him and tried to ruin his marriage and reputation had transferred?

No, he was more cunning than that.

She decided to put the encounter behind her. The only people she could gain clarity from were Namjoon and Professor Song, and both of them would surely ask her why she was so interested in knowing why he was there. All she could do now was continue focusing on her studies and her work, praying he never came back to school.

Something told her it wouldn't be that easy. He was trying to weasel his way back into her life. She could feel it.

💜

"Hello, everyone," the owner's son began, waving a bit awkwardly with a forced smile.

They'd just learned that, as of today, their manager was no longer going to be working at Luna's. Even after the deep cleaning, they'd done in the restaurant, the owner's son was still not content with the outcome and found it best to hire new management. He would be running the restaurant until he hired a new manager.

"My name is Yoongi." Jiae nudged Raine's rib with her elbow and wiggled her eyebrows.

"He's cute." She said in a low voice.

"I'm telling Jin," Raine whispered back just as he started speaking again.

"I know things are a little different tonight since there isn't anyone running the floor per se, but I'm sure that if everyone puts an effort in, we can get through this shift without a hiccup."

His voice was stern but still held a bit of softness to it. He didn't want to antagonize anyone, but Raine could tell he wanted to be direct about what he expected. Some people were upset about the firing, but he had given them more than enough time to get everything up to par. Raine didn't blame him for his decision.

"A night without a manager will also give me an idea of who has good leadership skills. Also, who could be considered for an interview for the position." He looked down at his clipboard and flipped through the first two pages. "Jeon Jiae?"

Jiae stepped around the other waiters in the kitchen so Yoongi could see her. "Yes?"

"You worked here three years now?" He asked as he circled something on his clipboard.

"Yes, sir."

He nodded and flipped through the page again. "I'm going to have you manage the non-smoking section of the restaurant. Who do you want to wait those tables?"

Jiae stood there, confused. "I-I'm sorry?"

"Well, you've been here longer than anyone else on the wait staff. I'd like to see how you do with people under you."

"Oh," Jiae looked around the kitchen at the seven waiters working tonight. Jiae named the waiters she preferred, Raine being one of them. They were the best there and the only ones that could carry more than three plates out at a time. If Yoongi was considering her for a promotion, then she needed to make sure she had the best of the best. The truth was that she could use better pay, especially because she and Jin wanted to get married and start a family soon.