Chapter Eight: The Handling

"Okay, De La Hoya. What are we not doing today?" Jungkook asked as he started up the car.

"Fighting," Raine grumbled. 

"If someone calls us a whore," he whispered the last word like they were in elementary school and were afraid of getting caught. "What are we going to do?"

Raine sucked her teeth and turned her head out the window to ignore him. 

"What are we going to do?" He repeated while reversing out of his parking spot. 

"Nothing!" 

"That's right because sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will never, what?" Jungkook leaned in her direction, waiting for her answer.

"Jungkook, I'm a grown-ass woman. Please refrain from talking to me like I'm a kindergartener!"

"I'm trying to be supportive here!"

"Well, you're being annoying!" Raine crossed her arms and turned her attention back out the window. "I could've handled this alone."

"No, yeah, of course." His voice was heavy with sarcasm. "You handled yourself amazingly yesterday, sweetie. You didn't need me at all." He turned out of the apartment complex parking lot and headed in the direction of the school.

She could've sworn the one struggling to keep her under control was him. She specifically remembered damn near jumping over him while he struggled to hold her back.

"Last I checked, you barely handled me yesterday."

Jungkook peeled his eyes from the road and directed them at Raine. "Oh, I handled you." The teasing tone was gone from his voice, replaced by something richer. Something darker that made her heart flutter and forced her to cross her legs. Excitement bubbled up inside her like a champagne bottle that had been shaken one too many times. 

As quickly as the playfulness had vanished, it returned. "Otherwise, she would've beat your ass."He liked teasing her. 

Raine faked a laugh and, in turn, he couldn't help but chuckle. Jungkook was catching himself being effortlessly flirty with her and even though Jimin told him he was free to make a move. He didn't want to. It would be too odd now that she was living there. He also figured she'd never get past what he did to her, but it was so hard not to.

💜

"Key card." Jungkook put his hand out to Raine. She stared down at his hand in disbelief.

"You're kidding right?"

"Nope. I need to assess the situation before you go in there. What if she's waiting in there with her scythe, ready to drag you to hell?" he had no doubt Raine could handle herself but she had caused a shit ton of damage the day before. Enough to make someone angry enough to retaliate.

"Let her, I've seen enough." Raine pushed past him and proceeded to open the door. A part of her was hoping that Ashley would be away. She was embarrassed by her actions, but everything had pushed her to that moment. Ashley wasn't the sole reason why Raine became violent. It was the pent-up problems Daehyun had caused, coupled with the problems Lena and Ashley were beginning to cause and tied together with a pretty bow called lack of sleep. It had become all too much for Raine to handle, and so she exploded. 

Luckily, the room was empty and Raine hoped Ashley was trying to avoid another confrontation as well. Now, she just wanted to pack and get the hell out of there. 

Raine crouched down to retrieve her moving boxes from under the bed. Something had told her not to get rid of them just yet and thank god she hadn't. She placed the boxes on the bed and began unfolding one. Since they didn't have tape, she just overlapped the sides and hoped that they wouldn't cave with the weight. are note to