Chapter Nine: Bean Sprout Soup

The moment his eyes opened, it was like his head was being impaled with a dozen hot knives. The sunlight filtering into the room felt like it was incinerating his retinas, and he pulled the covers over his head to shield himself. He felt the bed spinning under him. He was definitely in a state between hungover and still intoxicated. He couldn't remember how much he had drunk, he couldn't even remember getting home. The last memory of the night was taking shots with some random girls at the bar and then Namjoon and Jimin telling him to slow down. Everything after that was a mystery.

Jungkook hadn't been feeling too great. Today was his mother's birthday and the weekend leading up to it proved to be too much for him to handle. Memories of their last birthday together came flooding back, making him wish more than ever that they'd done things differently.

Jiae and Jungkook had gone home for her birthday, but halfway through the day, Jimin had called asking Jungkook if he wanted to go out with him. He should've said no. He should have told his friends he was spending time with his mother, but instead, he was rushing through her entire celebration; wanting to sing Happy Birthday earlier than usual and order takeout instead of cooking her favorite meal because it was faster. Had he known she had been diagnosed the week before, had he known she'd be gone weeks later, he would've done everything to make her last birthday special. She had been so gracious about it, too. Telling him he should go out and enjoy himself because there would be other birthdays. Now it was too late, and he had to live with that.

Jungkook snuggled into the pillow, trying to find a comfortable spot so sleep would overtake him again. He knew he'd feel better so long as he slept a little longer. He smiled to himself at the smell of flowers on his pillows, pushing his face deeper into the softness of it, basking in the scent. His pillows never smelled this good.

My pillows never smell this good!

His eyes shot open, and he pushed off of the pillow to look at it. It was pastel yellow. His pillows weren't yellow. They were black. Panic set in as he realized he was not in his bed or his room.

Where the fuck AM I?!

Jungkook quickly rolled over and sat up straight. His vision blurred, and it felt like his brain was rattling in his head. He waited for his vision to settle and started looking around the room.

Bed in the center, dresser across from the bed, door to the right.

The panic washed away, and he breathed a sigh of relief. He was in Namjoons room.

Panic came over him again very quickly as he realized that he couldn't be in Namjoon's room because he had moved out of the apartment two months ago. Which meant...

Oh no.

He reluctantly turned his head, fully expecting to see her lying naked beside him because, although God had given him many gifts and attributes; common sense wasn't one of them. He knew himself and he would've without a doubt slept with Raine if that's what she wanted, but to his surprise he was alone. He even dared to peek under the covers to access his situation, his shirt was on and pants were zipped. Everything still seemed intact; he'd surely know if he had sex, right?

What the hell am I doing in here?

Jungkook searched around the bed for his phone, finally finding it on the nightstand beside him. Next to his phone was a glass of water with a napkin and two oblong-shaped pills atop which he immediately recognized as pain killers. Jungkook suddenly realized how thirsty he was and downed the glass of water and pills right way hoping they'd help with the pain and dehydration.

The time on his phone read nine thirty-five, which could explain why he woke up alone. The alarm for his first class of the day was missed, but Raine probably still made it in. He wracked his brain again for any recollection of spending the night with her, but there was none.