Chapter Twenty One: Study Buddies

A/N: seeing as this is an AU, anything my little heart desires can be skewed. I've skewed ages to fit my needs.

✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️

"Raine, could I see you in my office?"

Yoongi popped his head out of his office before she was even clocked in. Raine grew nervous, believing he would let her go for her behavior on Saturday.

Raine nodded. "Yes, sir. Let me just put my things down." Yoongi gave her a thumbs up and went back in.

"Are you in trouble?" Jiae asked, her doe eyes filling with worry.

Raine shrugged with an uneasy expression. "I don't know. I hope not, but if I am, I'll be living in a box under an overpass soon. Come and visit me sometime."

"You're going to make me feel worse about leaving you there!"

"I'm kidding. By the way, Jungkook got a job." Raine informed, slipping off her jacket and hanging up.

Jiae crossed her arms. "As he should."

"He's been doing a lot better, Jiae. He doesn't go out anymore. He hasn't been out in almost two weeks." Raine didn't know why she felt the need to defend Jungkook, even when she should've been more worried about potentially losing her job.

"That's not enough, Raine. There's so much more to why I left. It's not just the partying." She smiled sadly at Raine. "You should go in there." Jiae jutted her head towards Yoongi's office in an attempt to cut their conversation short.

Raine sighed and tried to ready herself for the conversation. Whatever it may be.

She knocked on Yoongi's open door, making him look up from the paperwork on his desk and beckon her in. "Close the door, please, and sit down."

Yup, I'm getting fired.

Yoongi folded his hands on his desk and gave Raine a tight-lipped smile. "So, how are you doing today, Raine?"

"Fine, sir."

Unless I'm getting fired.

Yoongi let out a small laugh. "First things first. How old are you?"

"Almost twenty-three, sir."

"Okay, I'm twenty-eight. Every time you call me sir, I die a little inside. It makes me feel like a fossil."

Raine blushed with embarrassment. "Sorry,"

He gave her a toothy smile that made her less fearful of him. "I just wanted to talk to you about Saturday. You haven't been your usual self around here lately. Is something bothering you? Is someone here being inappropriate with you?"

Raine vehemently shook her head. "No! Not at all!"

"That's good. Is there anything else you need to talk about? I want to make sure that you're working at your full potential. Lately, it doesn't seem like you have been."

"Uh," Raine scratched her head and looked down at her lap. She wanted to get this off her chest with someone. With anyone. She couldn't tell Taehyung that Daehyun was back because he'd have a conniption. Jiae was gone now and Jungkook would change with her once he found out the truth. Raine felt so overwhelmed and alone in the matter.

"It doesn't have to leave this office. And if it's something you need help with, I can try to help."

"You can't help." She answered sadly. "This is a mess I created and am stuck in now."