Chapter Thirty-Three: Earthquake

The funny thing about betrayal is that it can only come from someone who's supposed to care for you. You never expect to, but you make yourself vulnerable to the people you love. An enemy can never break your trust or your heart but a loved one. That's a different story. Jungkook had placed the last bit of his hopes in Jimin's hands because he believed his friend would have his best interest at heart. And to be fair, Jimin did, but things moved in an unexpected direction, and before he knew it, he was deceiving his best friend.

Jimin paced the hallway outside of Jungkook's apartment for so long he was surprised he hadn't burned a hole right through the rug. He wasn't sure what his next move should be or how he would come clean, but he knew he didn't have another choice. Jimin couldn't walk into that apartment to face Jungkook and lie to him about what he had done.

Jungkook came to him for help, and Jimin took advantage of the situation. He and Raine might have been under the influence, but it didn't excuse their poor behavior. How would he tell Jungkook that he had kissed her instead of getting Raine to agree to see him?

That wasn't who Jimin was, and he would have never kissed her if he had been sober, but for some idiotic reason, he couldn't resist. He wanted to blame it all on the alcohol, but he knew that had only been part of the reason. When she said she should've chosen him, for a brief moment, he could picture it. He could see how things would have been if he had actually stood his ground when pursuing Raine. When she kissed him, it was like they were finally finishing what they started at Jiae's party. Back when Jungkook ruined the moment and decided to come on to her instead.

He had told Jungkook that he wasn't upset then, but the truth was that he was livid. He was hurt and angry, but Jungkook was going through things Jimin couldn't understand. So he chose to let it go and move on. Now he was in the wrong, and Jungkook had every right to be upset, but Jimin at least hoped that Jungkook could understand that it meant nothing. It was a rash decision made by two people with no business being in the same room alone.

He left Raine's apartment and thought about what he should do. He danced about it. He even prayed about it. Every time he had a moment of clarity, it was the same. The only answer he came up with was to tell Jungkook the truth. Jimin wanted to rip it off like a bandaid and hopefully move forward.

He finally ceased his pacing to put his key into the door knob. He white-knuckled the knob as he took a deep breath to center himself. Upon opening the door, he saw that the apartment was still in disarray, which meant Jungkook wasn't in the right state.

"Jungkook?" He called out timidly as he closed the door.

"In the kitchen." Jimin nervously took steps into the kitchen where Jungkook was standing with a beer. Jimin grew even more nervous because alcohol and lousy temperament went hand in hand with Jungkook.

His face lit up in what Jimin could only describe as hopefulness. It was the first time Jimin had seen the younger one light up that way since the breakup. "Did you see her?"

Jimin looked down at his keys. "Yeah, listen, um," He rubbed his thumb back and forth over the apartment key, ignoring how the teeth bit into his skin.

"What did she say? Did she agree to meet with me?" Jimin remained quiet at Jungkooks inquiring. How could he tell him what had happened? It would break him even more, but Jimin couldn't take it anymore. It hadn't even been twenty-four hours, and he was already being eaten alive by the guilt. "What happened?"

"I went over to her apartment. She's living with Nari now."

Jungkook remembered Nari from Hoseok's birthday. He wouldn't have counted on her and Raine being so tight, but he was relieved to at least know who she was with.